How long does your chiller last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does your chiller last?

Our chiller just sprung a leak. It's about a year old and is a Pacific Coast Imports Chiller CL-650. Didn't get a chance to pull it apart yet thought to find what the problem was.
    Justin Martin, VP
    Blackcote
    RR1 Box 116
    Liverpool, PA 17045
    www.blackcote.com
    [email protected]

Re: How long does your chiller last?

I've had mine for about 2 months now, no leaks yet. My guess is everything inside isnt titanium.
    www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Comment

Only the tubing inside the exchanger is titanium. The housing is plastic, and probably is cracked or something. You may be able to repair it. Epoxy and Polyester resin are bad choices. Vinyester resin is chemical resistant, but won't stick to slippery plastics. If it's ABS, you can repair it with ABS plumbing glue.
      I do things.

Comment

Well we just got it torn apart tonight and the fittings that seal off the tank for the cooling tubing are the nylon type i think. We had one of these fittings fail before like these in the chiller. If we could find a good epoxy or similar to fix it we'd give it a shot. I don't particularly like the idea of buying a $500+ chiller every year. Problem with buying a new one is I don't have anyway of knowing what fittings were used. Anybody have one that lasted longer? I'm wondering if plumbing in a few extra valves to hook up plain water for rinse after use wouldn't be the way to go.
        Justin Martin, VP
        Blackcote
        RR1 Box 116
        Liverpool, PA 17045
        www.blackcote.com
        [email protected]

Comment

Your best bet would be to buy a titanium external heat exchanger and mounting it in the tank, Then run a glycol/water mixture and keep the tank fluids contained on its own. Of course, thats going to require another pump to pump the fluids.
          www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Comment

whats a "chiller" (im guessing fridge/freezer) and what does it have to do in the ano process?

Comment

Chiller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chills the electrolyte
              Justin Martin, VP
              Blackcote
              RR1 Box 116
              Liverpool, PA 17045
              www.blackcote.com
              [email protected]

Comment

It's critical that the ano bath does not exceed 70F or so...
                When you anodize, the current creates some heat, and if it's already hot outside, the maximum temperature can easily be exceeded and desolution will occur (the ano layer is dissolved as fast as it's grown).
                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                X