This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build Your Own Barrel Plater

Sean i had wrote earlier in-the month about this system i had built using you idea and you wanted some photos so here ya go
    Attached Files

Comment

Sean
      Need to get something built to plate fasteners in have lots to do for a restoration need some more detail on your barrel so I can make one the pictures on your website don't show a lot of detail and I can not seem to get the video to work.
      Does zinc plating stick to stainless steel?
      Jim
      Last edited by hdway; 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Sean,

I know you've been doing zinc plating. Your set-up is fantastic for us low-cost starter-uppers! But do you know if Caswells system for Copper plating stuff would work?? I had cast some lead bullets and wanted to copper plate them so they don't lead-up the inside of the barrel.
        Maybe- Mr. Caswell could chime in as well.

Thanks,
        Rich in St. Louis

Comment

Sorry guys, haven't been back in a while.

John:

Nice looking barrel! Is that a conductive mat inside (the perforated piece)? I don't see any metallic contacts.

Jim:
          need some more detail on your barrel so I can make one the pictures on your website don't show a lot of detail and I can not seem to get the video to work.
          What "details"? The pictures do enlarge to 1024x768. The videos need Quicktime browser plugin, or you could just download them instead of playing w/in the browser.

Does zinc plating stick to stainless steel?
          Yes!

Rich:
          do you know if Caswells system for Copper plating stuff would work??
          It might, but I'm not familiar enough w/copper to say for sure.

If copper current density is much higher than zinc, a larger dangler (or multiple) may be needed.

If copper can't stand a contact interruption, you'de have to insure the system wouldn't lose contact at all.

Sean
          Seans Zinc Plating page

Comment

yes good creative question ..Many drills will lock on at full speed with a button, and the larger drills that tend to have a lock button tend to go slower than the smaller ones (they're geared down more) and some have a screw lock. A screw lock model will have a lock button and a screw on the trigger so that it can be locked at any speed. My drill will reliably lock at incredibly slow speeds, from about 1 rpm to full speed (about 1500 rpm). Plus, any electrode attached to the metal gearcase (the front of the drill) also connects to anything chucked in the drill. I wouldn't rely on this for currents above about 5 amps (guess) but for my case at 300 ma, it worked great. Brass Electrical Parts & Brass Extrusions

Comment

yes good creative question ..Many drills will lock on at full speed with a button, and the larger drills that tend to have a lock button tend to go slower than the smaller ones (they're geared down more) and some have a screw lock. A screw lock model will have a lock button and a screw on the trigger so that it can be locked at any speed. My drill will reliably lock at incredibly slow speeds, from about 1 rpm to full speed (about 1500 rpm). Plus, any electrode attached to the metal gearcase (the front of the drill) also connects to anything chucked in the drill. I wouldn't rely on this for currents above about 5 amps (guess) but for my case at 300 ma, it worked great. Brass Electrical Parts & Brass Extrusions

Comment

Comment

For the LINUX viewers | readers | users | platers

Since I do not do MS Windows (I am Linux user UBUNTU 8.04 LTS), I could not watch the embedded videos on this page . The video started, using embedded 'mplayer', but it did not continue. Apple does not provide QuickTime player for any flavor of Linux. The 'mplayer' for some unknown reason chocked on the underlying JavaScript code on the offending page. It works without a glitch on many other web sites, which sport QuickTime videos.
                  So, I found a solution for the Linux platers. Download the videos to your computer, watch them via the command line or start the 'mplayer' from the menu.

STEP-BY-STEP instructions:
                  --- download videos ---
                  wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-4s.mp4
                  wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-3s.mp4
                  wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-2s.mp4
                  wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-1s.mp4

--- start the video from the command line ---
                  mplayer barrel_f-4s.mp4
                  mplayer barrel_f-3s.mp4
                  mplayer barrel_f-2s.mp4
                  mplayer barrel_f-1s.mp4

--- or start mplayer from the menu entry ---

Enjoy the videos !
                  Last edited by pehta; 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: missin word

Comment

Originally posted by pehta View Post
                    For the LINUX viewers | readers | users | platers

Since I do not do MS Windows (I am Linux user UBUNTU 8.04 LTS), I could not watch the embedded videos on this page . The video started, using embedded 'mplayer', but it did not continue. Apple does not provide QuickTime player for any flavor of Linux. The 'mplayer' for some unknown reason chocked on the underlying JavaScript code on the offending page. It works without a glitch on many other web sites, which sport QuickTime videos.
                    So, I found a solution for the Linux platers. Download the videos to your computer, watch them via the command line or start the 'mplayer' from the menu.

STEP-BY-STEP instructions:
                    --- download videos ---
                    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-4s.mp4
                    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-3s.mp4
                    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-2s.mp4
                    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-1s.mp4

--- start the video from the command line ---
                    mplayer barrel_f-4s.mp4
                    mplayer barrel_f-3s.mp4
                    mplayer barrel_f-2s.mp4
                    mplayer barrel_f-1s.mp4

--- or start mplayer from the menu entry ---

Enjoy the videos !
                    Well this is one way. I use Debian and Iceweasel with the Quicktime plugin from Totem. Ubuntu is sold as the easiest distribution of Linux. But things like this always come up. I was a Slackware guy going back almost twenty years but I just got tired of having to compile everything. I checked out all the major distros. Debian is the best with Suse coming in a close second. Well maybe not that close. Dump ubuntu and use Debian you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by aerostar601 View Post
                      Sean,

I know you've been doing zinc plating. Your set-up is fantastic for us low-cost starter-uppers! But do you know if Caswells system for Copper plating stuff would work?? I had cast some lead bullets and wanted to copper plate them so they don't lead-up the inside of the barrel.
                      Maybe- Mr. Caswell could chime in as well.

Thanks,
                      Rich in St. Louis
                      Sorry - I just noticed this post.

Yes, the copper system will plate very easily with a barrel like this. It uses much smaller amperage than zinc, and doesn't mind lost connections. About the only system that wouldn't work would be nickel, since once the connection is broken, the parts need to be re-activated.
                      --
                      Lance Caswell
                      Caswell Inc
                      http://www.caswellplating.com
                      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

Originally posted by misfire99 View Post
                        Well this is one way. I use Debian and Iceweasel with the Quicktime plugin from Totem. Ubuntu is sold as the easiest distribution of Linux. But things like this always come up. I was a Slackware guy going back almost twenty years but I just got tired of having to compile everything. I checked out all the major distros. Debian is the best with Suse coming in a close second. Well maybe not that close. Dump ubuntu and use Debian you won't be disappointed.
                        Upgraded UBUNTU 8.04 -----> UBUNTU 10.04 and everything works flawlessly. Just one click on video link.

Comment

I have the majority of my design mapped out, but anyone know where to get the copper braid used for the dangler?

Comment

Originally posted by chromeitout View Post
                            I have the majority of my design mapped out, but anyone know where to get the copper braid used for the dangler?
                            Cheap & easy way: get a piece of coaxial video cable, strip the outer casing & pull the inner core out of the braid.
                            Seans Zinc Plating page

Comment

I have plenty of coax, but the braid is not copper.

Comment

Your coax probably has a tinned copper braid. Try another type.

Comment

Working...
                                X