X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lcaswell
    started a topic Build Your Own Barrel Plater

Build Your Own Barrel Plater

Seanc, a regular contributor on our forums and zinc plating expert has constructed a small, cost effective barrel plating machine to plate batches of parts without the need to wire each one up.

See Plating Barrel | zinc plating

As Sean stated:

"I had hoped to get others involved in the technical aspects, perhaps come up w/some improvements or better methods/components. I'm sure with enough "bright minds" thinking about it, it could be improved significantly."

• Craiginchico
    replied
    I'm just finishing up on my barrel plater per Sean's design and am getting ready to try my first batch of zinc plating. Is there a chart somewhere that gives the surface area for common fasteners? I've seen the calculator, and I'll use it if need be, but it's hard to conceive someone hasn't somewhere listed out surface areas for 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, etc nuts as well as corresponding bolts of varying lengths. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• damnboy
    replied
    yeah i think It doesn't have to be coax.

Leave a comment:

• Meguel Sompolinsky
    replied
    Re: Build Your Own Barrel Plater

i too have been reading 100's of post found on Google.
    i will be building one of these. I'm going to try to do at less "500" 185grain batch of wheel weight lead cast .40 cal bullets.
    the steps i have planed out. after unit is built

1. cast bullets.... DONE . (the mold is a .401 in size and most will cast .402-.403)
    2. wash with acetone
    (2.1 maybe a dip in something to would etch the lead to make the copper stick better?)
    3. plate with copper sulphate mixed with (water, vinegar, or battery acid) will try all
    4. size to .401 (i may under size before plating and plate to .402 then size)
    5. polish copper (tumbler with water soap and ?)
    6. load the round
    I will be replying to this thread when I have helpful info and/or an update.

Leave a comment:

• DavTN
    replied

Sean,

New member here thanks to you and many others. Have been researching barrel plating to improve end product while limiting labor and your ideas show that creativity and flexibility rule supreme. I have much to learn and have read hundreds of posts, but haven't found a clear answer. Will be copper plating batches of 500-1000 bullets at a time and building a hexagon barrel based on on a caswell solution kit. Question; have you experimented with aluminum screen to line the barrel and charge? Have seen a couple of posts on this, seems like good theory but concerned with increased cleaning and potential drag out issues. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    DavTN

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

Originally posted by chromeitout View Post
    I have plenty of coax, but the braid is not copper.
    It doesn't have to be coax. Any flexible multi-stranded wire, of suitable gauge for the amperage, will work.

Leave a comment:

• zincplater
    replied

Your coax probably has a tinned copper braid. Try another type.

Leave a comment:

• chromeitout
    replied

I have plenty of coax, but the braid is not copper.

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

Originally posted by chromeitout View Post
    I have the majority of my design mapped out, but anyone know where to get the copper braid used for the dangler?
    Cheap & easy way: get a piece of coaxial video cable, strip the outer casing & pull the inner core out of the braid.

Leave a comment:

• chromeitout
    replied

I have the majority of my design mapped out, but anyone know where to get the copper braid used for the dangler?

Leave a comment:

• pehta
    replied

Originally posted by misfire99 View Post
    Well this is one way. I use Debian and Iceweasel with the Quicktime plugin from Totem. Ubuntu is sold as the easiest distribution of Linux. But things like this always come up. I was a Slackware guy going back almost twenty years but I just got tired of having to compile everything. I checked out all the major distros. Debian is the best with Suse coming in a close second. Well maybe not that close. Dump ubuntu and use Debian you won't be disappointed.
    Upgraded UBUNTU 8.04 -----> UBUNTU 10.04 and everything works flawlessly. Just one click on video link.

Leave a comment:

• lcaswell
    replied

Originally posted by aerostar601 View Post
    Sean,

I know you've been doing zinc plating. Your set-up is fantastic for us low-cost starter-uppers! But do you know if Caswells system for Copper plating stuff would work?? I had cast some lead bullets and wanted to copper plate them so they don't lead-up the inside of the barrel.
    Maybe- Mr. Caswell could chime in as well.

Thanks,
    Rich in St. Louis
    Sorry - I just noticed this post.

Yes, the copper system will plate very easily with a barrel like this. It uses much smaller amperage than zinc, and doesn't mind lost connections. About the only system that wouldn't work would be nickel, since once the connection is broken, the parts need to be re-activated.

Leave a comment:

• misfire99
    replied

Originally posted by pehta View Post
    For the LINUX viewers | readers | users | platers

Since I do not do MS Windows (I am Linux user UBUNTU 8.04 LTS), I could not watch the embedded videos on this page . The video started, using embedded 'mplayer', but it did not continue. Apple does not provide QuickTime player for any flavor of Linux. The 'mplayer' for some unknown reason chocked on the underlying JavaScript code on the offending page. It works without a glitch on many other web sites, which sport QuickTime videos.
    So, I found a solution for the Linux platers. Download the videos to your computer, watch them via the command line or start the 'mplayer' from the menu.

STEP-BY-STEP instructions:
    --- download videos ---
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-4s.mp4
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-3s.mp4
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-2s.mp4
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-1s.mp4

--- start the video from the command line ---
    mplayer barrel_f-4s.mp4
    mplayer barrel_f-3s.mp4
    mplayer barrel_f-2s.mp4
    mplayer barrel_f-1s.mp4

--- or start mplayer from the menu entry ---

Enjoy the videos !
    Well this is one way. I use Debian and Iceweasel with the Quicktime plugin from Totem. Ubuntu is sold as the easiest distribution of Linux. But things like this always come up. I was a Slackware guy going back almost twenty years but I just got tired of having to compile everything. I checked out all the major distros. Debian is the best with Suse coming in a close second. Well maybe not that close. Dump ubuntu and use Debian you won't be disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• pehta
    replied

For the LINUX viewers | readers | users | platers

Since I do not do MS Windows (I am Linux user UBUNTU 8.04 LTS), I could not watch the embedded videos on this page . The video started, using embedded 'mplayer', but it did not continue. Apple does not provide QuickTime player for any flavor of Linux. The 'mplayer' for some unknown reason chocked on the underlying JavaScript code on the offending page. It works without a glitch on many other web sites, which sport QuickTime videos.
    So, I found a solution for the Linux platers. Download the videos to your computer, watch them via the command line or start the 'mplayer' from the menu.

STEP-BY-STEP instructions:
    --- download videos ---
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-4s.mp4
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-3s.mp4
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-2s.mp4
    wget http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/...arrel_f-1s.mp4

--- start the video from the command line ---
    mplayer barrel_f-4s.mp4
    mplayer barrel_f-3s.mp4
    mplayer barrel_f-2s.mp4
    mplayer barrel_f-1s.mp4

--- or start mplayer from the menu entry ---

Enjoy the videos !
    Last edited by pehta; 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: missin word

Leave a comment:

• rajskynetindia
    replied

yes good creative question ..Many drills will lock on at full speed with a button, and the larger drills that tend to have a lock button tend to go slower than the smaller ones (they're geared down more) and some have a screw lock. A screw lock model will have a lock button and a screw on the trigger so that it can be locked at any speed. My drill will reliably lock at incredibly slow speeds, from about 1 rpm to full speed (about 1500 rpm). Plus, any electrode attached to the metal gearcase (the front of the drill) also connects to anything chucked in the drill. I wouldn't rely on this for currents above about 5 amps (guess) but for my case at 300 ma, it worked great. Brass Electrical Parts & Brass Extrusions

Leave a comment:

Working...
X