Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html

These products replace the range of Muggyweld and Technoweld products we used to sell.
See more
See less

Problem with Flash Cu kit--deposited Cu is peeling off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Flash Cu kit--deposited Cu is peeling off

Hello Plating Gods,

I have a 4" wafer with Cr seed layer (which is 1000A thick). Here's the run down list of things you need to know:

1. Base metal of your part-----> Cr seed layer on top of Si Substrate. Trying to deposit Cu on this Cr layer.
    2. Surface area of your part-------> Its a 4" wafer so area is roughly 12.56 sq inch
    3. Which plating kit you are using-----> Flash Cu Plating kit 1.5Gal
    4. Amperage used----------> From the surface area calculations I found out that it should be around 0.8 A. I used close to 0.9 A.
    5. Voltage used----------------> Voltage reading was high---8V!
    6. Temperature of your plating bath------> 102F
    7. Duration of plating------------> 15 min
    8. What you are using as a power supply (ie. car battery, charger, rectifier) and the supply's specifications.----It is a constant current source that I used.
    9. What your surface prep was (and remember...90% of all failed jobs can be traced back to bad prep)------> I cleaned the surface with Ethyl Alcohol and then Cleaned with Acetone thoroughly
    10. What exactly went wrong.---------> The resultant Cu layer was peeling off and also it was NOT shiny. It had a foggy look. Please see the attached pics.

Please help.

Deposited Cu is being peeled off very easily also see the 'foggy' deposition--its not clear and shiny
Working...
X