Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Grey haze on electroless nickel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey haze on electroless nickel

Sometimes I'm getting a grey haze on the surface when I plate, it appears to be entirely superficial and it's usually easy to polish off. I have tried to experiment with the temperature, and it seems like a higher temperature makes it worse but it will still appear at lower temperatures. I mixed a new bath not too long ago and it happened even with fresh solution, so contamination should not be the problem. Any idea what this could be? I would like to try to lower the temperature (like 170-180 or so) to see what happens, but I may not want to see what happens... How low can you really go and still get a good nickel deposit?

What is the base metal ? how long are you plating ? what prep is being done prior to plating ?
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caswellplating_Jason View Post
      What is the base metal ? how long are you plating ? what prep is being done prior to plating ?
      It's gun parts, so it's slightly different steel alloys. I polish to a mirror sheen, degrease, rinse well and do the water break test and plate for 15-20 minutes. After some more testing, it seems like lowering the temperature helps. So what's the lowest temperature you can use?

Comment

Due to the underwhelming response from Caswell, here's an update: I found that the problem was more than likely caused by lack of agitation. I wasn't able to confirm the temperature range, but sticking with 195 degrees and agitating by moving the parts around every 2-3 minutes appears to eliminate the hazing almost entirely. My next step is to build some form of mechanical agitator, not sure when this will happen but at least I can limp along now.

Comment

Working...
        X