Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - Brass Plating Kit issue - need help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Brass Plating Kit issue - need help!

Hello,
    I believe my brass plating kit has been set-up correct. Bought the kit about 3 weeks ago.

Been having this issue no matter what I try. pH has been tested and is at 13.4. Heater is set to 110F as required in the guide. Part was copper that was polished, degreased, cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner with isopropyl alcohol and then plated. Doesn't matter if its 10 minutes or 5 hours (I've tried them) I get this VERY thick smudge like substance over the part. If I clean it, with a paper towel, it comes off to reveal brass but the coating is very very thin. If i try to polish it, the brass is removed instantly. No matter how long I leave it in!

current is calculated and usually set mid range for current per surface area. Surface area calculated from CAD. Really struggling/annoyed here. Anything I'm missing?

What is the Surface area ?

What are the amps/volts ?

Does the part pass a water break test ?
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caswellplating_Jason View Post

Hey Jason,
      thanks for reply. Will do a test tonight when I get home. I've tried many parts and a range of currents (because guide has a large current range). Still same result.

I will do test tonight with an object publish surface area, current, voltage. Water break test.

I will say I always use degreasing, xaswell degreaser. Usually twice. But to try and remove surface, I cut a piece from my copper anode. Nice shiny machine finish, new from sealed pack. Tested, same result

Comment

Originally posted by Caswellplating_Jason View Post

to answer these.

surface area is 25.12cm^2 and V = 1.51v and A = 0.22 A with no visible bubbling. This is on the lower range of current per sqr cm suggested, after conversion. This is 3.89 inch squared.

Comment

Connections look good ? Can you check the output of the rectifier ?
          --
          Jason Vanderbroek
          315 946 1213 x116
          www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Connections are fine. But will re check and solder all joints.
            It's a lab power supply, but I can check the voltage. I could apply it over a resistor and measure voltage drop to infer current.

will do but it seems ok. I used it to test an LED last night and it did not blow up!
            P.s how does the current seem too high?
            at that surface area and current. It's only 0.056A per sqr inch? The guide book says 0.01 to 0.3A...? And recommends to be at 110 F.. with heater. I'll try room temp tonight. What current density would you suggest?

Comment

Working...
            X