Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems, zinc plating

Hey guys.

Im very fustrated because i cant get my zinc plating to work.

No matter how good i clean the part or how smooth and shiny i get it before i put it in the plating tank the result is allways the same dull grey finish.

I have tried more heat in the soloution, more ageitation, clean the anodes, clean the parts in different ways such as vapor honing, bead blasting, wire wheel nothing changes the result. also tried adding more brightner

This part i have calculated the surface area to be. 2,9cm3 and should be around 1,2AMPs.

next i cleaned it with a scotch brite wheel so it was shiny, dipped it in to the supplied degreaser next 5 sec pickle in the muriatic acid, then to a clean bucket of water, next it the zinc bath.
    where i put it in for 25 minuts where i moved it every 5 minuts.

Hope somebody can help me before i throw this kit out the window..

Best regards Mathias.
    Attached Files

What is the Base Metal ?

Was the piece previously Zinc plated ?

Are you using our kit ?

How many Volts are you using ?

--
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Hello Jason.

The metal in the picture was copper. but its the same result with iron bolts.

Yes some of my pieces has previously been plated but i have tried bathing them in muriatic acid until they stopped fizzing then vaporblasted them.

Yes your kit bought via caswell europe

I can´t turn the volts up or down on my powersupply. it just says 0.

Comment

If you can not adjust your power supply then that would most likely be the cause of the issue.
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

I can adjust the amps but the volts always stays on 0

Comment

Then I would assume there is an issue with the power supply that is causing the plating problem.
            --
            Jason Vanderbroek
            315 946 1213 x116
            www.caswellplating.com

Comment

I have tried to different with same result..

Comment

You can try priming the part. My Volteq 30/30 doesn’t sense enough resistance to create output, it seems to just have a error. However when I use my little 1/120 power supply it works. So I let the little one ‘prime’ for about 30sec (you’ll see it starting to plate) then put the big boy on to finish the job.

It was very aggravating because most of the time I just couldn’t get the main power supply to work even though I knew everything was 100%. Took a long time to figure out this little trick.

You can possibly use a battery method or increase load on the power supply somehow just to get it started.

Comment

Working...
                X