Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html

These products replace the range of Muggyweld and Technoweld products we used to sell.
See more
See less

Life of Zinc plating solution - how many parts can you plate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of Zinc plating solution - how many parts can you plate?

I purchased a 3 gallon kit of the zinc plating kit from Caswell with yellow Chromate about a month ago, after some initial trial and error I have been able to produce nice looking parts for the partial restoration I am doing, that is until today... apart from a couple of very small parts (less than 2-3 sq inch) the plating solution doesn't seem to be "taking". The larger parts are dull grey with darker areas which when scrubbed show the base metal and no zinc - I have filtered the solution, adjusted amperage, add brightener, but nothing appears to be changing the outcome.

Again, my prep process is no different from when things were working. Is it possible that the plating solution is "used up"? I used the solution about 5-6 times have done a total of 20 small parts (5-10 sq inch) 15 larger parts (20-25 sq inch each) and quite a few blots and washers (80-100).
    Thx
    Franck

Re: Life of Zinc plating solution - how many parts can you plate?

Franck, I have a 1.5 gallon CopyCad system and have been using the same solution for over two years. I filter the solution through a paper coffee filter after every weekend of use and check the pH but have never had to adjust it.

How are the wires used to hold the hardware plating? If the wires are accepting the zinc I would suspect another problem.

That is about all the advice I can provide.
    Team FASTLIKEJUDY

Comment

Re: Life of Zinc plating solution - how many parts can you plate?

check the amperage that the pieces are taking from the rectifier. Maybe u have a bad connection...

the first pieces u zinc... do u clean them?

Originally posted by Jagbuff View Post
      I purchased a 3 gallon kit of the zinc plating kit from Caswell with yellow Chromate about a month ago, after some initial trial and error I have been able to produce nice looking parts for the partial restoration I am doing, that is until today... apart from a couple of very small parts (less than 2-3 sq inch) the plating solution doesn't seem to be "taking". The larger parts are dull grey with darker areas which when scrubbed show the base metal and no zinc - I have filtered the solution, adjusted amperage, add brightener, but nothing appears to be changing the outcome.

Again, my prep process is no different from when things were working. Is it possible that the plating solution is "used up"? I used the solution about 5-6 times have done a total of 20 small parts (5-10 sq inch) 15 larger parts (20-25 sq inch each) and quite a few blots and washers (80-100).
      Thx
      Franck

Comment

Same here. 2-3 hours and approx 20 parts plated beautifully then the zinc bath went south. Very disappointing after spending $600 to get going. Need a root cause and a fix to save the 3 gallons of solution...

Comment

What has happened to your system ? can you give me some details or give me a call and we will make sure we get you back up and running. 315-946-1213 XT116
          --
          Jason Vanderbroek
          315 946 1213 x116
          www.caswellplating.com

Comment

I am having same problem. absolutly no difference in prep or set up. noticed I have to keep increasing amperage to get zink to plate. done very few parts then every couple I did noticed parts weren't gasing unless I increased power.

Comment

Working...
            X