Electroplating problems with home kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electroplating problems with home kit

Click image for larger version  Name:	example.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	144764​​Hey all, I've been having some less than stellar results with my at home electroplating. I am using a 6 QT rubbermaid container filled with a basic vinegar, salt, and caswell zinc brightener solution. I'm having trouble getting even plating and plating in tight areas, such as these hex cap screws in the attached photo, I've tried various voltages and plating times that only results in a very thin incomplete plate or no plating at all. I'm using a small generic 3A power supply and have two 3"x4" zinc anodes in the solution to plate roughly 20 sq in of parts at a time. I've also noticed that despite adding a full teaspoon of brightener to my solution, my plated parts always come out a dull gray and need some scrubbing with a metal sponge to shine. A couple issues I have also noted are that while making my electrolyte, I noticed the anodes getting black with soot within 20 minutes of plating, and they have continued to do so despite me scuffing all the soot away from the anodes each time, I expected them to last longer before getting the buildup but they are completely black within half an hour of plating. As for coverage issues, I have tried low current plating all the way up to 2 hours with less than stellar results. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice with how to improve my plating, I'm sure a better solution is a good place to start but I'm not sure how I can come across some without breaking the bank. Thank you!!
    My plating process is as follows: Wire wheel parts, dip in diluted muriatic acid until parts stop fizzing, dip in tap water, plate, remove and dip in tap water, scuff with metal sponge, rinse with tap water, replate, scuff and rinse, replate, scuff and rinse, chromate.
    Last edited by Cactus108; 01-18-2021, 10:51 PM.

Unfortunately our Brightener will do nothing for a home made type solution, It will most likely cause plating issues for your set up. also our Chromate normally does not work for this type of plating.
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caswellplating_Jason View Post
      Unfortunately our Brightener will do nothing for a home made type solution, It will most likely cause plating issues for your set up. also our Chromate normally does not work for this type of plating.
      I see, I looked on your website but don’t see copycad zinc part a and b for sale separate of the kit, could you sell me just that?

Comment

Copy Cad & Zinc Concentrate 1.5 Gal - Caswell Inc (caswellplating.com)
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Hey guys, I filtered my solution and dropped to plating 2 bolts at a time. I'm still having issues. If anyone has any recommendations about getting the plating to throw into the socket, please let me know! Thank you!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	144772Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	144773

Comment

What solution is this ?
            --
            Jason Vanderbroek