Need help on what area to calculate to determine my amperage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on what area to calculate to determine my amperage

I am about to buy a recitier, and I am having some problems deciding on what to buy. My parts are small, but there are bigger ones to. I am going to use the copy chrome (its on the way) and I have parts between 15 and 30 square amps. And they are not all the same. My first question is, do I need it to be exact. Can I use 2 amps if the square inches is around 42 square inches, which would require 1.5. Not sure on how exact you need to be. Also, when I calculate the surface area, do I calculate the entire surface area, or just the area that is not masked off. Or, do I calculate the entire surface area if I am only doing the front. Please help me so I don't buy the wrong rectifier. I am going to need between 1 amp and 4 amps, and I want one rectifier to do the job, looks like I need two, which I don't want to do. I have spent enough money already.
    thanks,
    Kenny

copychrome-amps & area

hello krsimulis. You should be pretty close on the amps to area ratio. I have the copychrome and I am using a 12v battery with a charger and light bulbs which works really well for me. I have plated up to 80 sq.in. You only need to figure the unmasked area. Hope this helps. lloyd

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting good results. I just posted another question about my first plate, it went all wrong. Are you plating aluminum, or other metals. Also, how big of a copy chrome kit are you using, and how many amps are you using. I might change over to a 12V system instead of a 6V system. Ill try anything right now. You know I didn't read your reply before I plated, wish I had because I calculated area wrong the first time. Let me know how you have your agitator submersed. I would really like to hear about your setup, it might help me figure out what I am doing wrong.
      thanks,
      Kenny

Comment

I just thought of a question I had right when I walked away. Lets say you have a flat piece, and you only want to plate one side. If I don't mask the other side with a laquer or anything, do I still need to count that in my area that I am calculating, or do I only count the area that will get plated. Or should I mask it. I also forgot to ask you where you got your bulbs from
        thanks,
        Kenny

Comment

kenny,

only calculate for the side you want to plate onto, also from the other post about the copper pipe only calculate the ouside area. if you calculate area into a piece that wont wind up getting plated anyway you will more than likely burn the plating.

bill
          http://home.comcast.net/~jhodges87/wsb/index.html

Comment

What about the plate on the shadow side?

Originally posted by bhhodges
            kenny,

only calculate for the side you want to plate onto, also from the other post about the copper pipe only calculate the ouside area. if you calculate area into a piece that wont wind up getting plated anyway you will more than likely burn the plating.

bill
            Your expertise in this is WAY beyond mine, but in the above advice, if he is only going to count and plate the one side without masking the other, shouldn't he at least move the two anode plates together, or even just remove the one on the side he's not trying to plate? (Line of sight and all) Or am I mistaken? (Quite possible)

Jay

Comment

That is what I am doing. If I am only going to plate one side, I am only going to have one anode pointing that way. And if that side is longer, then I will use both plates on one side.
              thanks,
              Kenny

Comment

jay

your right on the money i only meant dont calculate the inside of any hollow item if your not gonna plate it.

bill
                http://home.comcast.net/~jhodges87/wsb/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X