Bronzing Baby Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronzing Baby Shoes

I have been trying without success to bronze my daughter's baby shoes. After the pre-requisite cleaning, and wire attachment, I spray-coated the shoes with Caswell's copper conductive spray paint. I let it dry 24 hrs and then flash-coppered them at the suggested temp and voltage. It seemed to take on the copper with no problem, but the conductive copper coating started to blister and peel from the shoe itself.

I then let everything dry out, and then stripped the coating completely. This time I used an acrylic base coat on the shoe inside and out in an attempt to waterproof the shoe and give the copper coat something to adhere to.

Waited 24 hrs and re-applied the copper conductive coating. After another 24 hr drying period, I immersed the shoe in the flash copper. Unfortunately I am getting the same results.

Is there something I am doing or not doing that will prevent the blistering?

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Mike
    Mike
    Touch-N-Gold

Did you immerse the shoes in SEALER?
    They need to be completely soaked/saturated in this twice, to provide a really good base.

Which copper spray were you using? Water or solvent based?
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Bronzing Baby Shoes

I was using a spray sealer, rather than soaking. But most likely it would not have made much of a difference, as the coating peeled on solid objects such as glazed ceramics and seashells, which indicates a problem with the copper spray coating and not the base sealer or lack therof.

The copper spray coating is solvent based from Caswell, a product, which I have been led to believe, has been discontinued. (Why ?)

In the meantime, my Canadian Caswell rep, Jim McMillen, has agreed to forward me some Silvaspray at cost minus what I had paid for the copper conductive paint. A very good and highly appreciated customer support tactic I must say.

Hopefully I will have better results to report back on later. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the prompt customer feedback. And thanks Jim for your loyal support.

Regards,

Mike
      Mike
      Touch-N-Gold

Comment

Working...
      X