No announcement yet.

pitts in steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey dave do you have any hints on better ways to use my tumbler? just general info? thanks clydes

Comment

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but I once worked at a place where we used a tumbler (actually it was a cement mixer filled with steel shot) for knocking the sharp edge off parts we had laser cut.

Comment

i was just wondering if you had used the tumblers from caswell. they work well for polishing for me so i thought i would see if you happen to have a wealth of knowlege on that issue. thanks for all the help sofar. clydes

Comment

I have two vibratory tumblers from Caswell and am considering buying a third. They work well. I use them for polishing, not deburring, so I load them with metal polish-charged corncob. I put the parts in on a Sunday and take them out on a Thursday. A brass part sanded with #400 wetordry will come out brightly polished with excellent color.

The downside is they are not as fast as buffing. But for small irregular parts that you can hardly handle, a tumbler is an excellent approach. It's also a lot cleaner on the shop than buffing, and safer too. Small parts, if caught by a buffing wheel, can be dangerous projectiles.

I have tumbled large parts as well, and for things that are too irregular to buff, I get very good results. I can gauge the gloss finish by the time in the tumbler. So for parts where I don't require a lot of brilliance (eg certain antique clock parts) I can take the part out early before it's been polished to a super high gloss. That's hard to do with a buffing wheel!

Ken

Comment

i have used them to remove some pitting on odd ball parts/and some plating removal. have had some luck with the polishing also. have you heard anyone putting soap{dawn} as an additive in with the ceramic triangles and water? seems i heard this somewhere before was just wondering
            clydes

Comment

Working...
            X