No announcement yet.

Gold Plated Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it take the Silvaspray with it? If so, it could be a bonding issue between the silvaspray and substrate. It could also be that the cigar is so soft. Perhaps two coats of epoxy before the Silvaspray would help make it a little more rigid.

Ken

Comment

Im working with roses now, the cigars worked fine. I attached a wire to the bottem of the stem and has been in the tank for about 45 minutes and I only see plating at the stem, nothing at the bud. any ideas?

Comment

I suspect that the Silvaspray is not conductive enough, and the rose is a complex enough form that by the time you get to the bud there is too much electrical resistance. You might want to "tap into" the rose in multiple locations with some real thin wire. Some bare copper #24-28 gauge wire meshed around the rose in multiple locations would help you I would bet.

Ken

Comment

Ok, I attacked another wire to the stem and upped the amparage to 600mA

Comment

You may need to mesh it. For example, imagine making a hypothetical box to accommodate the rose out of chicken wire. Lay the rose in the box and run thin wires to it every inch or so along its length. If the wires are thin enough you might even thread them thru the rose with a fine needle then tie them to the chicken wire box. A #34 wire would allow you to "sew" through and around the rose using a thin sewing needle.

Of course you probably can't use chicken wire since it will likely be zinc plated and you NEVER want to put zinc into the nickel tank. But if you could come close to something like this made up of copper wire, you'd have it.

There is no conductive paint that will have the conductivity of metal itself, so we have to make do.

Ken

Comment

I was wondering, does the plate itself add to the conductiveness of the item being plated? If so, then as they plate "grows" it will reach some of the less conductive parts.

what if I just leave it in the tank for 4 hours or so?

Comment

It is possible that eventually you'll accumulate enough ions on the surface of the paint to cause an acceleration of the plating. But it's also possible that after a certain time the paint will be slowly broken down by the acid solution. So it's a tough balance. It's worth a try I would imagine.

My rule of thumb is if it hasn't plated after an hour, you should try another approach.

Ken

Comment

Yeah, it basicly fell apart after 3 hours of plating. Odd thing was when I took some steelwool to the crumbled parts, it looked like there was plate under the paint... I thought that was odd.

Trying again with three wires at 600mA.

Im am starting to run out of paint, roses and patence.

Comment

Working...
                  X