Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: copy chrome vs triple chrome plating

Originally posted by splbnd27
    That is what I am trying to find out, ARE there differances with the copy chrome and what they are, good or bad.

My long range goal is to try and build a plating busisness, because there is nothing like that anywhere around my area, and I think it could be a thriving busisness. I realize that every busisness has it's pitfalls, but if some of these problems could be avoided by using the copy chrome it would sure make it easier to get something going. But if I am comparing apples to oranges then thats a whole different story.

Let me ask it another way, if I copper plated then nickel plated two identical items , then chromed one and copy chromed the other and they both came out perfect , how much of a differance would there be between them, color shine , durability etc.

Bob
    I have posted a picture of Chrome verses Copy Chrome in the Photo Gallery
    http://forum.caswellplating.com/phot...0&ppuser=17870 i have used Copy Chrome for a little over a year and it is awsome
    Jim Eaton

Comment

Here is my two cents
      when I first started with copy chrome I used the one step process with a 3gal kit it worked very well with very few problems after playing with this kit for some time I discovered that it work best at 1 Amp per 32 sq inches I have sense moved to a larger kit and am now using copper also
      flash copper gives a better surface for the copy chrome to hold onto I am now thinking of also getting acid copper and nickle baths to use a triple plate process but with copy chrome as a final as a final plate. Although it is true that in the smaller kits a nickle anode is used in the larger kit a cobalt steel anode is used and gives a much harder surface then nickle. Also due to EPA concerns
      the copy chrome is much safer and accepted by the EPA standards in fact they have told me it was the best chrome substitute they had seen trying to come into this area and after looking at my MSDS they approved of what I was doing
      Jim Eaton

Comment

jimcarry, a question. caswell still shows a nickel anode for the kits listed. how large a kit are you talking about? would the end result be different from using the different anodes? ( other than being harder as you mentioned) wouldn't it be better if all kits were improved? ok, that's more than "a" question, but anyone can jump in. mike

Comment

My kit is 25 gal. as far as the look I don?t see a difference in the cobalt steel and the nickel I have to say that if the part is prepped properly you can achieve the same look as triple chrome I my self plate for a lot of car clubs in this area and when I go to the shows I see my work everywhere.
          I would have to say that if you asked Caswells for the cobalt steel anode the would send it with any buy although it is a little more expensive
          Jim Eaton

Comment

I posted the following on the "Reprochrome" forum with no replay. I add here the difference between copy and repro?

Hello all,
            Can a user tell me about the quality of REPROCHROME? I work with Classic Boats and am thinking about purchasing a REPROCHROME kit. My concern is that the quality (looks) is truly comparable with chrome. I am in California so doing chrome is out of the question. The REPROCHROME sure looks good in the pictures but what about when I hold it in my hand?

I purchased powder coaticon "chrome" that looked good in the photos too but isn't even close to real chrome. I get a "gray" color.

Your opinions are requested. I hate to spend $1000+ and find it is a bust.

I can use the REPROCHROME different ways. Over classic bronze pieces, over cheaper pot-metal pieces. Perhaps some exceptional pieces still need to go to the chrome plate shop?

The Caswell rep says it is pretty hard to tell from chrome.

Thank you,
            Dean

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks for the info on Copy Chrome vs Triple Plate. Myself I have both and agree with your comments; my worry has always been the durability of Copy Chrome in the long run for automotive applications. I noticed in your pic gallery you plated a set of Goldwing exghaust tips. Can you let me know how that has held up so far with use?
              Lastly Jim I have a couple questions about setting up a small plating enterprise. I have plated several pieces for a local antique car club for free to get my work noticed. Now that has been accomplished I find myself in a delemma as I have no idea what would be a a good method to base pricing on? I sure don't want to sell myself short or over-under charge customers. This may not be the thread to ansawer this question, but you can e-mail me at [email protected] if you like. Any suggestions to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X