looking to sell all of my plating equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to sell all of my plating equipment

I have everything needed to triple chrome plate. this is a 15 gallon system and is in great condition.there has been alot of time and money getting it right and works really good.I need to sell all of it and would like to sale all at once but will consider parting. Please email if interested at [email protected] this is a good set up and i have alot invested and am willing to make someone a good deal.

Current Density Meter

Any chance you might have a current density meter? I'm a baby plater, and I need a current density meter so I can get the surface area of stuff I'm plating. Thanks.

Comment

Baha, Whats a baby plater? As in baby shoes and such. This is an area that I am very interested in. How dose a current dencety meter work/do?

Comment

"Baby Plater," and CDM (Current Density Meter)

LOL!! No, we don't plate baby shoes. What I meant by "baby plater" is that we're rookies. We're hobbyist platers who are just learning how to plate. We're having some great successes, but also some "failures."

Regarding the CDM, I cannot tell you how it works, but I can tell you what it does. A CDM can calculate the total surface area, in square inches [I think they generally calculate in square feet, and then you convert] of the cathodes that you're plating.

As you probably know, it is crucial to know the surface area of the item that you're plating. In our case, we're plating leaves (from trees). For instance, yesterday, as a test, we plated a Silver Maple leaf. We gave it a base plating of copper, and then we plated over that with Nickel.

Well, before plating, we first have to calculate the surface area of the leaf, so that we'll know how to set the amperage. The rule of thumb we learned is 1/10th amp per square inches of cathode, in copper plating [or electroforming, as it's called]. Some say 1/16th.

Anyway, the way we currently calculate surface area is by actually placing the leaf down on 10/10 graph paper, and tracing its outline. Then we count the complete squares, on the graph paper, within the outline. Then we count those squares along the edges that are more than half full [using Caswell's approximation that we recently read at the end of their book], and add that to the figure we got for the total number of complete squares.

So, if we count 306 squares [both sides of the leaf], then the surface area of the leaf is 3.06 square inches [there are 100 squares per square inch on 10/10 graph paper]. Then we multiply that by 1/10, to get about 0.3 amps, and that's what we'd set the amperage to.

Now, if you're plating 20 leaves at a time [which is what we do, because we have a long tank, and need to plate at a "production" level], it can be a real pain in the behind to count squares on graph paper for 20 leaves [even though, after a while, you'll accumulate enough tracings where you can simply search for a tracing that comes close to matching any new leaf you're going to plate].

With the CDM meter, you don't have to count squares on graph paper. I don't know, yet, how it hooks up, because I haven't got my hands on one yet. But all you do is hook it up, put your cathodes into the bath, and read the amps on the meter instantly--no counting needed.

For us, a CDM is going to be crucial, because leaves, cones, flowers, etc., have "odd" shapes. It can be a real pain to trace some of these leaves. It's not an efficient use of time. Preserving the leaf; sealing the leaf to protect it from the acid in the bath; gluing the jewelry finding on it, and all that stuff takes enough time without the additional time of having to count squares on graph paper for each leaf.

Comment

Baha, LoL. Guess I'm a "baby plater" too. Some good info there. Thanks.

Comment

Babies

Yep!! But Babies grow up! And we will!!

Comment

Oh, good. I was kinda wondering how you would keep them from crawling out of the buckets, and from wiggling so much that they'd keep knocking the plating loose.

But anyway, if anyone is looking for a complete 3 gallon set-up, with 50 Amp CC lab power supply and custom made cabinet, just let me know. I hate to sell it, but I've got a tax bill coming due and need the money. I'm looking to get around $1,100 for it all, which is a LOT cheaper than you could buy the kit and all the other stuff together. (The lab power supply retails for around $2,600 or so) You can either PM me here, phone me at 615-426-3343, or e-mail me at [email protected] for pictures and more info. Thanks.

Comment

bikerrandy
                could you PM me your asking price..
                D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

Originally posted by dagobert
                  If anyone is looking for a complete 3 gallon set-up, with 50 Amp CC lab power supply and custom made cabinet, just let me know. I hate to sell it, but I've got a tax bill coming due and need the money. I'm looking to get around $1,100 for it all, which is a LOT cheaper than you could buy the kit and all the other stuff together. (The lab power supply retails for around $2,600 or so) You can either PM me here, phone me at 615-426-3343, or e-mail me at [email protected] for pictures and more info. Thanks.
                  Let's make a deal- I need some cash, and if someone wants a plating set-up CHEAP, I'll sell the above-mentioned set-up for $650 cash- that's for the 3 gallon kit, the cabinet, AND the lab power supply, as is-where is. (You pick it up in Columbia, Tennessee) You can still reach me at the above contacts. Thanks, Jay.

Comment

Working...
                  X