really want to get in to the chroming bussiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really want to get in to the chroming bussiness

hi im intrested in getting in to the chroming bussiness doing rims and car bumbers and parts not for a hobby but for a living.i have no experince in this field is this a good idea or not .what kind of kit sould i get any help would be greatfull thanxs

I'd Seriously Reconsider If I Were You

Reason being...the EPA...Environmental Protection Agency.
    Chrome Plating business like you're anticipating requires use of large metal plating tanks and equipment...polishing machines...spraying department...large plating baths that use very toxic fumes from dangerously poisonous Cyanide...which requires special fume hoods, floating fume balls, filtration equipment, waste water neutralizing equipment...then disposing of it afterward...expensive...dangerous to the air we all breath...and trhe EPA will shut you down in a New York Minute...

IF you could even get the now-impossible Local, State and Safety Permits.

If you're serious enough...do it as a Hobby Part Time Business with small tanks under 100-gallon capacity...which is also very expensive to fill these days.

As someone not knowledgeable in Chrome Plating...your first goal is to 'learn the business'...and best way would be to get a job in a commercial Chrome Plating Plant...if you can get-in...but don't say you're planning to be a competitor and want to learn all they know.

Better off shooting yourself first

Sorry...but those are the cold hard facts...I wish you luck in whatever you venture...Take care.

Respectfully...
    - etcc
    "1,200 Year Old Highlander Immortal"

Comment

Just get a 3 gal Triple Chrome kit. You can learn the business without any help from anyone.
      --
      Mike Caswell
      Caswell Inc
      http://www.caswellplating.com
      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

With Flash Copper you won't need cyanide at all. In fact, the new Flash Copper in many ways has better performance than the old cyanide copper. The hazard with triple chrome is the chromic acid fumes. These can be controlled with Caswell's kits and/or a fume hood.

I like Caswell's idea. Start small and learn as you go. Another option is to get a copy chrome kit and learn the fundamentals with it. That way you're not learning with chromic acid, which, while is managed well with Caswell's kit, still poses a disposal problem if you decide the whole thing is not for you.

The disposal problem will be manageable with the copy chrome kit. The copper, nickel and copy chrome tanks, if cared for reasonably, will last you a long, long time. I am still using the same tanks I set up 2 years ago with showroom quality results.

Ken

Comment

You realy need to find someone that is doing chrome and just stay with them about a month if you can. I jump in to deep and now I have to stay in it because I can't let the shop just sit doing nothing. If you have questions just ask me and I can tell you, I have been plating about 3 yr.
          www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: really want to get in to the chroming bussiness

Originally posted by tryit
            hi im intrested in getting in to the chroming bussiness doing rims and car bumbers and parts not for a hobby but for a living.i have no experince in this field is this a good idea or not .what kind of kit sould i get any help would be greatfull thanxs
            Even starting with a small copy chrome kit in most cases you can plate directly on the item with out using copper or nickel you can get a great look just like chrome and durability if you seal the item properly it inexpensive and you will learn a lot you can see some of the things i have done with copy chrome right here
            http://forum.caswellplating.com/phot...0&ppuser=17870
            Last edited by jimcarry; 08-24-2005, 03:13 PM.
            Jim Eaton

Comment

Working...
            X