Keep getting blisters in flash copper plating...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep getting blisters in flash copper plating...HELP

I am new at this. I sanded and prepped the part. Cleaned it in sp degreaser then distilled water. Then I zincated the aluminum part...let it drip dry then went into the flash copper.

After plating there are small blisters that I can pop and peel. Why is this happening. Also after nickel plating the flash copper it is not shiny. When I did the practice copper pieces in the nickel it looked like chrome. I just cant get past the flash copper stage. All the parts that I am doing are aluminum.

Make sure you don't have your amps to high and your temp. to low. After you flash copper go into your acid copper and then polish before you nickle.
    www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Keep getting blisters in flash copper plating...HELP

I have been fighting this same problem for weeks. If I can figure it out you'll be the first to know.

Comment

That Is Not Your Problem Your Problem Is Nickle Strike You Must Nickle Strike After You Zinc. Drip Dry. Always Dip Part Into Distilled Water Befor Going Into Another Bucket

Comment

Alum can be a pain. Try this, zincate the part, rinse, strip zincate in nitric or sulfuric/water and zincate again. Don't drip dry the part, rinse immediatly after zincate and go into the flash copper "live" (power on). For the first 30 seconds or so, have the amps higher than what you calculated. This will make sure that the copper gets on before the part can oxidize (that's what the zincate is for). Too many amps and you will burn the plate, not enough and it may blister, you have to play with that a little. After the first 30sec, roll the amps back down to the calculated value for the rest of the cycle. Flash copper is always dull, you have to polish it before going into the nickle. Some cast alum will outgas and cause blisters no matter how much you try. Good luck man. Don't pull all your hair out, you will need a bunch of it if you try potmetal.

Comment

gtabadboy,

I found a procedure in this forum which worked first time I tried it. It looks like Voltage and amperage are extemely important. I was so happy I immediately called Caswell and bought a controler. You can find the procedure by clicking on SEarch This Forum and enter the keyword dishwashing. You will find a thread called Flash Copper initiated by Fly and a response by SRT Mike. My hat off to Mike who wrote a precise procedure which works. Note: one difference, I zincate, let dry 1 min then dip in warm water 5 sec before putting in the Flash Copper tank to avoid the thick ugly layer of Zinc.

Comment

This is the post: http://forum.caswellplating.com/showthread.php?t=3673
              --
              Mike Caswell
              Caswell Inc
              http://www.caswellplating.com
              Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

The instructions realy work, SRT Mike did a good job on describing the steps. Give it a try and let us know how you did.
                www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X