Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Copy Chrome over Solder? Possible Tumbler issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Copy Chrome over Solder? Possible Tumbler issue?

Assuming im using lead free solder, can I directly plate copy chrome over solder? I have some small pieces, with odd shapes. They are to odd to sand, and badly pitted. Just wondering if the solder would solve these problems. They don't have to be show quality, just better than they are now.

Also, anyone know where there is an inexpensive tumbler i can buy for small parts? Or will the elcheap o' versions work? I'm needing to polish parts Less than 1 sq"

I hate to drop 300.00 + the price for medium materal for one of caswells tumblers? (im sure they are great, but im not polishing anything bigger than 1 sq"

Re: Can I Copy Chrome over Solder? Possible Tumbler issue?

Originally posted by waylonh
    Assuming im using lead free solder, can I directly plate copy chrome over solder? I have some small pieces, with odd shapes. They are to odd to sand, and badly pitted. Just wondering if the solder would solve these problems. They don't have to be show quality, just better than they are now.

Also, anyone know where there is an inexpensive tumbler i can buy for small parts? Or will the elcheap o' versions work? I'm needing to polish parts Less than 1 sq"

I hate to drop 300.00 + the price for medium materal for one of caswells tumblers? (im sure they are great, but im not polishing anything bigger than 1 sq"
    I have used copy chrome right over sliver solder used to fill some pits on a soft carbon steal
    it worked beautifully
    Jim Eaton

Comment

I have tried nickel plate over lead free solder before and it didn't work. I tried acid copper also and no luck there either. The solder turned dark grey, obviously attacked by the acid in both mixes. I think copy chrome is also acidic. I'm sure it depends on the composition of the solder. There are several different types.

Comment

It would be best to flash copper over the solder after you have smooth out the solder on the part. Then you can go to the acid copper for build up.
        www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by eprigge
          I have tried nickel plate over lead free solder before and it didn't work. I tried acid copper also and no luck there either. The solder turned dark grey, obviously attacked by the acid in both mixes. I think copy chrome is also acidic. I'm sure it depends on the composition of the solder. There are several different types.
          I have used silver solder that I had in a bunch of jewelry making equipment that I received from my grandfather who was a jeweler not sure exactly what typ but I will see if I can find out for you I had no problem with it turning gray also have filled pits with a tig welder witch also works great
          ill see if I can get you some info on the solder
          for a small tumbler you might try here
          http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/...y_tumblers.htm
          Last edited by mcaswell; 08-20-2005, 07:15 PM.
          Jim Eaton

Comment

Working...
          X