Gold Plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Plating

I have a highly technical question. I am gold plating to prevent hydrogen permeation and I am getting different shades of gold. I believe this is because of different surface roughnesses causing different refraction of light. My question is if anyone knows if this can hinder the prevention of hydrogen permeation or if anyone knows another reason why the I am getting different shades?

Thanks

Hydrogen permeation

One would suspect that a rougher finish would present more surface area. Since the rate of permeation is a function of surface area (and temperature, partial pressure of H2, etc., etc.) then you would expect that as the roughness goes up, the surface area goes up, and the rate of permeation goes up. Therefore a smoother surface should give you lower permeation rates.

Comment

Now is it not true that I am using gold plating because of its lattice structure, having gaps smaller than the hydrogen atoms. So the surface area should not matter because the gold will prevent H+ from getting through or does gold just stop most H+ atoms.

Thanks

Comment

Re: Gold Plating

Hello,
        Interesting question "Hydrogen Permeation" vs different gold shades?
        I not sure but "Hydrogen Permeation" has to do with hydrogen embrittlement were H forms part of the metal structure causing it to be more brittle. I will ask some of my assocates. I plated both in tanks and brush plated gold with different color shades. Check your amps, chemistry, and keep the plater brush well supply with gold solution. Their are different shades of gold which is achieved by adjusting chemistries. Look up trouble-shooting gold plating.
        Nol4154

I have a highly technical question. I am gold plating to prevent hydrogen permeation and I am getting different shades of gold. I believe this is because of different surface roughnesses causing different refraction of light. My question is if anyone knows if this can hinder the prevention of hydrogen permeation or if anyone knows another reason why the I am getting different shades?

Comment

Working...
        X