Dipping parts in Silvaspray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipping parts in Silvaspray

I have a few small intricate plastic parts I want to copy chrome. Since they are small I was wondering if it is possible to thin out the Silvaspray and dip the parts in it rather going through the time consuming (and wasteful) process of spraying the parts. TIA!
    HobbyTalk Forums: Diecast Collecting - Model Building - Radio Control Vehicles - Slot Cars - Small Engine Repair

Re: Dipping parts in Silvaspray

Well, I hate to confess this, however, I bought a can of Silvaspray back in April of this year and have yet to do anything with it.

Your post gave me the "kick in the pants" I needed to try it.

I tried dipping a plastic spoon and a small piece of 1/2" PVC pipe.
    One thing I noticed is that you will get uneven coverage by dipping.

If you ever used that tool-dip rubber coating you know what I am geting at.
    At the top of the part the coating was real thin and almost transparent and got thicker towards the bottom. Caswell's copper paint worked much better for dipping then the Silvaspray (see note below).

I dipped the parts (2) times in the Silvaspray to get a good coating.

One thing I must warn you is that the solvents (although mild) may craze the plastic (slight crazing on the plastic spoon, none on the PVC pipe).

Another negative is that the plastic may start to dislove in the Silvaspray, contaminating it.

What I will do is also spray another set of parts with the Silvaspray and plate both sets.

I have to go out and get some solvent before I run it through my airbrush.
    I will let you know the results within a day or so.

On another note, I have had pretty good results (75%) with dipping leaves, bugs and such in Caswell's copper paint.
    The only drawback is that sometimes the copper paint just will not take the plating in some areas.

George W.

Comment

I wonder if thining the Silvaspray would help? Thanks for the info and look forward to your results.
      HobbyTalk Forums: Diecast Collecting - Model Building - Radio Control Vehicles - Slot Cars - Small Engine Repair

Comment

GSW3 i read on here so i dont have to ask so many question. this was posted 3 years ago so digging it up mite not be the best thing but what happend from your secnd test with the silverspray?
        D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

Working...
        X