Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electroless Krome plating Q's

Future plating amatuer here.

I want to plate some brass, but before I take the plunge and looking for general direction pointing and I'll do all the reading from there.

First I need to know what's the best method of removing paint from brass with little to no manual work? And is there a kit?

Second, what steps are needed to cleaning the brass prior to using the Electroless Krome kit? I've read in some places that unclean metals can ruin or have unpredictable outcomes when plating. And is there a kit?

Third, I read that when submersing the object in the plating solution you should use certain metal hooks/rods to submerge the object. If true, do you sell these dipping rods?

Next up will the plating manual tell me how much thickness is added during plating?

Another Q: Does the manual go into how you increase and decrease the brightness of the plating. I don't have the funds for the Triple Chroming Kit, but I would like to get close as possible under budget.

Finally. Once plated is there a need for a final sealent coat?

Actually, one last Q: When I'm done with a solution, what are the proper disposal steps? Do you neutralize the solution with other chemicals or find a city chemical depot?

Electroless Krome

Whew...that's a lot of questions

First I need to know what's the best method of removing paint from brass with little to no manual work?
    Paint Stripper. Just drop it in and the paint will dissolve off. You might have to rub it a little.

Second, what steps are needed to cleaning the brass prior to using the Electroless Krome kit?
    Polish the brass to a high shine (this ensures a bright, shiny finished product), then degrease the part with a degreasing agent. Paint Stipper, detergent....anything that removes grease.

Third, I read that when submersing the object in the plating solution you should use certain metal hooks/rods to submerge the object. If true, do you sell these dipping rods?
    This is true with regular electroplating (when a power source is required), but not required when electroless plating. Just drop your parts in the solution. The hanging rods are just pieces of copper wire.

Next up will the plating manual tell me how much thickness is added during plating?
    Yes it will.

Does the manual go into how you increase and decrease the brightness of the plating. I don't have the funds for the Triple Chroming Kit, but I would like to get close as possible under budget.
    Yes it does, and I'll tell you right now as well. It's ALL in the surface prep. If the part is polished before you plate, it will be polished after plating.

Once plated is there a need for a final sealent coat?
    No.

When I'm done with a solution, what are the proper disposal steps? Do you neutralize the solution with other chemicals or find a city chemical depot?
    Electroless Krome comes with a neutralizing chemical that makes the solution drain safe.
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Working...
    X