My first TEST chrome plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first TEST chrome plate

I have the triple chrome plate 4.5 gal setup. I started this project following the manual and video. I used a 1/2 inch X 5 inch long copper pipe as said in video. I setup the nickel and chrome tank first to plate the copper pipe. The nickel came out good, so I polished it and cleaned it off with soft scrub and done the water break test, passed.
    So I put it in the chrome tank with 8 amps current, o yea, I have a 50 amp rectifier.
    I left in in the tank for 2.5 to 3 min, bubbles all around it and power leads hooked up correct, then pulled it out and it did not plate. I tryed it again for another 3 min. and it just plated the bottom 1/2 inch of pipe. I turned up the amps to 12 amps and the part plated but was dull, Newbe needs help please.

Re: My first TEST chrome plate

Originally posted by TOMB
    I have the triple chrome plate 4.5 gal setup. I started this project following the manual and video. I used a 1/2 inch X 5 inch long copper pipe as said in video. I setup the nickel and chrome tank first to plate the copper pipe. The nickel came out good, so I polished it and cleaned it off with soft scrub and done the water break test, passed.
    So I put it in the chrome tank with 8 amps current, o yea, I have a 50 amp rectifier.
    I left in in the tank for 2.5 to 3 min, bubbles all around it and power leads hooked up correct, then pulled it out and it did not plate. I tryed it again for another 3 min. and it just plated the bottom 1/2 inch of pipe. I turned up the amps to 12 amps and the part plated but was dull, Newbe needs help please.
    This really sound like even though you hooked up correctly just not a good conection
    Jim Eaton

Comment

Re: My first TEST chrome plate

most likely your nickle passivated. Before you go into the chrome, activate the nickle with a 30 sec dip in sulfuric/water and rinse well in cool water not hot. Put the part in the tank and let it sit for a couple min. dead before you apply the power. Like Jim said you need a good connection.

Comment

Working...
      X