Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mcaswell
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Yes, big time. The lines of force will be effected.

    Leave a comment:


  • mcaswell
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    I'm pretty sure the magnets will effect the lines of force from the anodes.

    Leave a comment:


  • eprigge
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    I actually don't think the magnets will change the current flow much but I suppose it could. It will definately cause problems if you have dissimilar metals in the part though. Like if you try to plate something that is copper on one part and still has some steel exposed on another part. That won't work right.

    I wonder if you are using enough current. You say 1 amp, but at 20A/square foot (for acid copper) that's only about right for 7.2 square inches, which doesn't sound like enough for a motor housing... maybe you can post pics and/or dimensions. EDIT: Hmm.. the manual says 1A to 10-30 square inches. In any case, you might try altering the current, see how that effects the plate.
    Last edited by eprigge; 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • fxstcguy98
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Yes magnets will effect the plating, it will disturb the flow of electrons in the plating bath. Not sure if you can get around that with anode placement or if you will have to remove the magnets. You will have to experiment with that one.

    Leave a comment:


  • fly
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Can you give us a little more information, like a picture or exactly what you mean by not perfect. NOt sure about the magnets, but its possible.

    Leave a comment:


  • TOMB
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    ok I done it the way you guys said and it did come out better, not perfect though, still didnt acid copper plate on the lower part off motor housing.
    This corvette heater motor still has the magnets in it, will this affect the plating.

    Leave a comment:


  • fly
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Sometimes its best to find your way of doing things and use the manual for a guideline.

    Leave a comment:


  • TOMB
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Thanks Fly and Eprigge. I will try what You said Fly and not polish the Flash copper but Im trying to go by the book, page 47 says to polish but I will try again and not polish the flash. Thanks again. I will post on what happens.

    Leave a comment:


  • eprigge
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    The flash copper layer is pretty thin, like fly said, don't buff it or you may go through to the steel. If/where you do, the acid copper will not plate on top of the steel properly.

    Leave a comment:


  • fly
    replied
    Re: Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Make sure you do the water test and do not polish the copper after the flash copper, just rinse and go straight to the acid copper. If you can polish the part very good before you go to the flash c. then you can skip the acid copper and go to the nickle. Make sure you measure the part to get the correct amps.

    Leave a comment:


  • TOMB
    started a topic Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Acid Copper Eats To Metal, Aahhgg

    Im using the triple chrome set and trying to get this right. Im plating a steel car heater motor. I first plate with flash copper, buff, clean then plate with acid copper with 1 amp. Im getting this dusty dark brown crust at spots and when wiped off with a rag it takes off everything down to the bare metal.
    I dont understand this and its my 3rd try to plate this part. Please help!
Working...
X