All Platers::::::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Platers::::::

What happened to all the platers out thier, this is turning into a powder coating forum, I know better on the plating, somebody has to have a question or problem...
    www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Re: All Platers::::::

Your right there are not as many questions about plating as there was a year ago .
    At the same time I hade three people from this area at my shop in the last 2 weeks with different problems in plating with small kits and I helped them right here
    Jim Eaton

Comment

Yea I guess I need to ask them more questions....
      Have you had any dealings with magnesium parts, I had a sport bike in my shop last week and I coudn't get the side covers to plate and they were mag. I tried the zicate-flash copper, but nothing...

Comment

You want questions. I got questions. I have some aluminum parts to strip chrome off and anodize. A little electricity and the chrome came off without to much trouble leaving a poor copper coat. I bead blasted them and the majority of copper came off but after etching I can see where it still has spots of copper where it stuck better than the rest of the coat did. I've repeated the bead/etch 3 times now and each time get a part or 2 that is clean enough to proceed to anodize. With your plating knowledge can you tell me an easier way to remove the copper coat or do I just keep repeating. TIA. SS

Comment

The best stripper for nickle and copper only on aluminum is NITRIC ACID, which is a bath that you just let the part soak for a few minutes and the acid eats all the nickle and copper leaving the aluminum part back to bair aluminum. If you don't want to purchace the acid I will be glad to strip the parts for you. I will be away from the computer untill friday, so if you want to call me you can, (601)549-6914 Im working nights and tonight is my last night.

Comment

Thanks a million. Nitric acid has been recommended several times for use with castings. I guess I need to find some. Is there a prescribed concentration to use it as for the copper removal?

Comment

If I rememeber right its half and half (H20/Acid).
              Man its a life saver I like it cause you don't have to do anything, strip the chrome and then drop it in the bath.

Comment

Hey ss and Fly
                Now remember this is with out seeing the wheels in question
                but im thinking that the wheels are triple plated so it is quite possible you haven’t removed all the nickel
                but the best way is just to keep doing what you are doing . I have had this same problem with some door handle im prepping spots of copper left even after blasting next step sanding .
                I hope this helps if not give me a ring or drop an e-mail with your number and we will see if we cant work it out [email protected] or 479-639-2575.
                Muriatic acid also makes a great stripper and is available at most hardware or pool supply
                instructions for mixing are on page’s 34 and 35 in the manual

And fly I don’t have any experience in plating on to mag but I do have a friend that might ill see if I can
                get some info for you
                Last edited by jimcarry; 01-31-2006, 08:23 AM.
                Jim Eaton

Comment

Ok, this is great...a topic about questions with a theme about stripping...just what i was curious about. My plating operation has been on hold for a while (mostly due to the holidays, but also because of stripping woes) I received a bunch of pieces to replate that have been triple chrome plated. I don't have the power requirements to electrically strip the chrome, and I didn't want to get any more chemicals at the time, so i purchased a sandblaster from here and a compressor. So...things haven't exactly worked out right from that end, and while I'm waiting for that to be remedied, I read a thread about stripping with muratic acid/water mix, which has been repeated here, so my questions are...do i have to heat it up? how long do i leave it in there? do i hang it, or just drop it in and get my neighbor's kid to pull it out? Any other suggestions? I don't know why, but this has been a big stumbling block for me. Thanks in advance.

Woody

Comment

To remove Chrome and Rust
                    first you will need a tank large enough to hold the part a piece of stainless steel size depends on the part you are de plating a power source battery charger will work
                    there are different type of Acid Pickles they are explained in greater detail on pages 34 35 and 36
                    of the Caswells Plating Manual
                    WARNING ! Never pour water into Acid always pour acid into water
                    Pickle 1 used for mild etching before plating
                    to make this solution
                    20 parts fresh water to 1 part muriatic Acid for etching soak part for 1 to 15 minn 1 hour will remove rust from most steel

Pickle 2 also rust remover and de- plater
                    to make
                    2 parts fresh water 1 part muriatic acid
                    to remove Chrome hook you positive lead to you part and your negative lead to the stainless
                    adjust your power to 1 amp per sq inch de-plating should be complete in approx 15 to 20 minn
                    DO NOT use this method on Pot metals or aluminum !!!!
                    Caswell?s recomend?s using Anodize & Chrome Stripper to remove chrome plate
                    this system is less harmful to the base metal .
                    Jim Eaton

Comment

I am looking specifically for non-powered ways of doing this... all i have for power is a 3amp rectifier. So i am looking for ways of doing it with just the chemicals. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dwoodruff
                        I am looking specifically for non-powered ways of doing this... all i have for power is a 3amp rectifier. So i am looking for ways of doing it with just the chemicals. Thanks.
                        you can use pickel #2 with or with out power to remove chrome
                        with power is just faster refer to page 34-36 in your plating manual
                        Jim Eaton

Comment

I've also noticed that the volume of plating questions has diminished.

Ken

Comment

I talked with Mike about this recently Caswell?s started sending there plating video
                            out with there plating kits I believe this has helped considerably also the mods and plater?s
                            on this site are doing a great job of answering the questions
                            Jim Eaton

Comment

Hey Jimcarry, the nitric acid will eat ALL the nickle and copper off of aluminum, all you have to do is strip the chrome first, and the part is just about ready to replate if the part does not have pits. It doesn't matter if its tripple plated or not, as long as the chrome is stripped off. I like the nitric bath, it sure beats grinding or blasting the part and then polishing it again.

Originally posted by jimcarry
                              Hey ss and Fly
                              Now remember this is with out seeing the wheels in question
                              but im thinking that the wheels are triple plated so it is quite possible you haven?t removed all the nickel
                              but the best way is just to keep doing what you are doing . I have had this same problem with some door handle im prepping spots of copper left even after blasting next step sanding .
                              I hope this helps if not give me a ring or drop an e-mail with your number and we will see if we cant work it out [email protected] or 479-639-2575.
                              Muriatic acid also makes a great stripper and is available at most hardware or pool supply
                              instructions for mixing are on page?s 34 and 35 in the manual

And fly I don?t have any experience in plating on to mag but I do have a friend that might ill see if I can
                              get some info for you

Comment

Working...
                              X