• fly
    replied
    Re: double nickel plate

I agree, very well put....

Leave a comment:

• fxstcguy98
    replied

Basically there are many types of nickel baths, all suited for specific needs. Certain kinds are used as a strike plate, they have no brighteners in them but they may have levelers to fill slight imperfections. Acid copper is used kind of like bondo on a car to fill larger imperfections. If a piece is in good shape, some places use a nickel for a strike, bright nickel for shine and then chrome. When you hear terms like "double nickel" or "triple chrome" it is used more to make the process sound technical or higher quality than it really is. 90% of all outdoor chrome is either double nickel or triple chrome.
    Now to answer your question, yes double nickel and triple chrome will give you more protection against corrosion, but you could just put a thick layer of bright nickel (assuming it's steel and doesn't need a strike) and then chrome and it will last for years. With the kit, most of the time you will be copper plating the part to be able to buff it, then nickel then chrome giving you a finish that will most likely outperform all the rest of the chrome on the bike because you have put twice as much plate on as most chrome shops are willing to do (assuming you plated it correctly).

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied

Im not sure about the two layers, they might be somthing different. But I have parts on my custom chopper and they have been in good shape for 3yrs now, and I see alot of my work all the time, so yes the process Im talking about will work fine just make sure your prep work is done correctly..

Leave a comment:

• Cameratrick
    replied

How long have your parts been on the road if you don't mind me asking? The parts I want to chrome will not only be on my bike but all my buddy's bikes as well, plus a few more if all goes well. I just can't afford to have a big group of people asking for repairs or money back (or worse) if it starts messing up in a few months. From what I've read the two nickel layers I'm speaking of are different. One helps spread corrosion laterally, and the two compounds are a little different. Thanks for any info.

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied

You realy don't need two layers, just leave the part in the bath longer and make the nickle thicker. I plate motorcycle parts and I don't do two layers and they hold up to the weather....

Leave a comment:

• Cameratrick
    started a topic double nickel plate

double nickel plate

I have read that chrome plating for exterior uses should use 2 layers of nickel plating. Is it possible to adapt these 2 nickel layers into the triple chrome kit sold here or are the 2 seperate nickel solutions different from what is sold here?
Working...
X