X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dweymer
    started a topic Best Way To Prep & Plate Nuts & Bolts

Best Way To Prep & Plate Nuts & Bolts

What is the best(fastest with good results) way to prep a lot(50+) of nuts and bolts for plating?

Also, what is the best way to plate them?

This is for CopyCad.

• dzertracer
    replied
    Re: Best Way To Prep & Plate Nuts & Bolts

I've done a lot of old motorcycles using copy cad system. One of the best ways I've found to strip and clean nuts and bolts using a glass bead blaster is to get a plastic bottle like a vitamin bottle 2 to 3" diameter. drill a hole in the lid to make a tight fit for your nozzle. Drill a whole bunch of 1/8 holes in the bottom of the bottle, the more the better. Put about 10 nuts, washers and or bolts in the bottle and put on lid. Put nozzle in lid and start spraying. While you are spraying you must shake the bottle to keep the parts moving around inside. It will clean a bunch of parts quickly. Glass finish will give you that vintage plated look. By wire wheeling or polishing the metal, the brighter the finish will be. Make sure you have already removed ALL grease and oil from parts before blasting. I've seen so many people restore motorcycles and paint the fasteners silver which looks cheap. These systems make you proud of what you have built and much more professional.

Leave a comment:

• goldrapt
    replied

sorry for the bump but this was a good read.

Leave a comment:

• UncleFestes
    replied

Had to Edit this post due to Brain Freeze
    Last edited by UncleFestes; 03-02-2009, 01:20 AM. Reason: Extremely Dumb Question. I need to read a little.

Leave a comment:

• NOL4154
    replied

Depends your volume:
    Using wire for plating can be a disadvantage because plating thickness will vary. It may look like its plated but could have a flash.
    Look up "barrel plating"
    Nol4154

What is the best(fastest with good results) way to prep a lot(50+) of nuts and bolts for plating?

Also, what is the best way to plate them?

This is for CopyCad.

Leave a comment:

• roguedog
    replied

Wow! Very ingenuis. Thanks for the posts and links.

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

My plating pages have moved, but can't edit my previous post. New location:

Plating Barrel

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

It's been a long road, but I finally have a functional motorized barrel plating setup:
    Plating Barrel
    It's not perfect, and I continue to investigate improvements, but if you can adapt the design to your own needs, go for it & post the results!

Sean
    Last edited by seanc; 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied
    Re: Best way to prep & plate nuts&bolts

Greg:
    You might try the motors they use for making fishing rods.
    I'm not familiar with making fishing rods. Sounds interesting.

However, I have the ideal motor now: barbeque rotisserie motor. They turn at just the right speed, 4 RPM, have gobs of torque, and are designed for continuous use.

I have it set up for motorized use now, but still haven't quite got a fool-proof electrical connection to the parts, so haven't posted an update. When I figure that out, I'll be posting a full update.

Thanks for the tip though!

Sean

Leave a comment:

• overcashier
    replied

You might try the motors they use for making fishing rods. I built a rod making set up and the little motor seems as though it would have enough torque and turns pretty slow. I think it would turn your plastic basket.
    Greg

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

Woody:
    This may sound dumb, but how do you ensure that the SS rod or butter knife is in contact with all the parts all the time?
    Well, those are the "kinks" I haven't worked out entirely. Particularly a mounting which would hold the rod in just the right position all the time. It really needs to be spring loaded so it can shift position with the parts as they tumble.

Some large commercial plating barrels use this method. They call it a "dangler". Some danglers are large balls which simply ride on top of the parts pile. Others are thin rods which get surrounded by the parts. Of course, they are complicated devices using slip rings for electrical contact, while I'm trying to keep it simple. The tradeoffs aren't as easy to overcome as I figured.

Does it just touch one, and they then touch each other?
    Exactly.

Don't know how well this would work for nickle or copper. The current in zinc is fairly low, so it passes through the parts easily.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• dwoodruff
    replied

This may sound dumb, but how do you ensure that the SS rod or butter knife is in contact with all the parts all the time? Does it just touch one, and they then touch each other? i am using the copper, and nickel kits, so i'm assuming, i'd do the same thing with the copper wire, or a copper pipe?

Thanks again.

Woody

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

Woody:
    how do you wire it up for the power? and how often do you rotate it? i have the round buckets, so i guess i'll have to modify it a bit.
    I use a stainless steel rod and dangle it in the basket on top of the parts. I've also used an old SS butter knife. Still need to figure out how to mount the electrical connection permanently though.

I figure anything around 3-6 RPM works. Haven't yet found a strong motor that slow, so I'm still turning it manually. Every 15-30 seconds I'll turn it over.

I still haven't worked out all the kinks though. Just haven't had the time since last fall.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• dwoodruff
    replied

i love your barrell design, i've been looking for something similar... i have one question, though... how do you wire it up for the power? and how often do you rotate it? i have the round buckets, so i guess i'll have to modify it a bit.

Thanks,
    Woody

Leave a comment:

• seanc
    replied

They all plate just fine:

But it's just too time consuming to do a high parts count this way. For anything more than a small handful, a barrel is the best solution.

Sean
    Last edited by seanc; 01-26-2009, 08:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X