electroless chrome - larger piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electroless chrome - larger piece?

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question, but I need to know before I spend a bunch of cash. =)

I'm looking to plate a couple of large-ish piece of titanium (roughly 13.5 x 9.5, < 1mm thick each: it's the body plates of a laptop computer) and being the lazy guy I am, was interested in the electroless krome kits.

Now, my question is: (and sorry if it's dumb, but this is new to me)

I see that the 1 gallon kit (more than I need, but I want to have some fun!) comes with an 11 x 10 tank - obviously a bit smaller than I need for a 13.5 x 9.5 sheet of titanium. Will I need a larger tank that will fit what I need, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions? I assume I will have to submerge the entire piece at once for even coverage?

Also, the laptop does have some smallish plastic parts which I would like to plate as well - will the Silvaspray work well as a base for these with the same electroless solution?

Again, sorry if these are silly questions: I didn't even know this kind of kit existed until yesterday, and I'm very excited about giving it a shot. Thanks in advance for any help!

errr...doh!

Shame on me - just found the answer to this in the FAQ. (I assume the same applies to electroless: just find a ceramic container that will accomodate the part)

Has anyone used the Electroless Krome kits on titanium? How were the results? I've been reading a bit about titanium's properties and am a little concerned about adhesion to titanium's apparent oxide layer.

So I suppose my new question is: anyone have any luck with plating Ti?

Comment

We believe you can plate titanium, but don't have any experience with it. We can't guarantee results.
      --
      Mike Caswell
      Caswell Inc
      http://www.caswellplating.com
      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

ahh...

heh...

So this could be an expensive experiment. (I ordered the kit last night)

I'll let you know how it turns out. I can always find other things to plate if it doesn't.

From the sound of it, the electroless krome kit should work: This is the most I could find on the subject.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to send you a great "finished" picture.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X