heater troubles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater troubles

has anyone else had trouble with the heaters in the chromic acid. i put one heater in and it just fell apart( could have been a defect need to call caswell), the second heater i put in the rubber that is on the bottom of the heater (the one caswell sells with the kit), the acid started to eat it away. whats the deal
    James Bateman

Re: heater troubles

I have had heaters eventually fail after many many hours of use and abuse, but only in the alkaline cleaner and flash copper, but that is to be expected as the RTV will eventually break down. There are more durable heaters out there on the market, but they are very expensive, so I figure a failure every now and then of the Caswell ones is not that bad, I am still ahead.

Never had any problems with acidic solutions with either the ceramic or titanium.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

mine had also fell apart after one time use. it also blew out the temp controller. for the price of new 300w heater($40) at my local store i cant buy them every time i use the tank so im looking for one of the costy ones. it also taks 4 hours for the tanks to get to the rite temps so keeping me in the shop into the early mornings is not at all worth while for me. spending the money on a good heater that will reach temps in a few minutes will just be worth it for me in its self.
      Last edited by upncoming; 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM.
      D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

I'm definetly going to purchase the new mini heater. I think Lance posted earlier that there will be a titanium mini heater coming. As soon as it's in I'll drive out to get it, and will post on how it works.
        James Bateman

Comment

The heater you need can be expense because the material used for a heater is lead or heater that is coated with telfon. I tried Ti heaters but can a short life. Remember, lead & Ti heaters are heated with steam and telfon heaters are electrical. Look up used plating equipment (Lanco used plating equipment)
          Nol4154

has anyone else had trouble with the heaters in the chromic acid. i put one heater in and it just fell apart( could have been a defect need to call caswell), the second heater i put in the rubber that is on the bottom of the heater (the one caswell sells with the kit), the acid started to eat it away. whats the deal

Comment

Originally posted by NOL4154 View Post
            Remember, lead & Ti heaters are heated with steam and telfon heaters are electrical.
            I'm not sure what heaters you are referring to, but your posts are rather odd and don't add much to the conversation here. You really need to read the threads better and if you have something useful to add, go ahead.

The TI heaters we sell are electrical, as shown in the link I provided.
            --
            Lance Caswell
            Caswell Inc
            http://www.caswellplating.com
            Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

Heaters are constant problem for me. I'm actually amazed that Caswell sells all of these great kits and yet does not provide any means to heat them as necessary. I bought several bendable Incoloy heating elements from Mcmaster however, I am frequently shorting out my tank when I turn on the power supply to start plating. Back to the drawing board....
              https://www.mcmaster.com/#immersion-heaters/=17uxj5z

Comment

I had the same problem

Comment

Working...
                X