Using Reprochrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Reprochrome

Hi, I recently bought a REPROCHOME kit to go over previously copychrome plated parts to make them brighter, since the copychrome was obviously less bright that the real chrome it was matching to. With the kit was the only instructions for it and it had me heat solution to 140 degrees and plate a dummy plate which all worked out fine (part was a little dull). but after adding the brightener it really did NOT gain that much more brightness. Question is do I continue plating at the 140 degrees as instructions imply or is this for initial setup , will the brightener disappate with the heat like when the copy chrome works when first added then gets plated at a lower temp.
    Also when going over copychrome do I reactivate like usual as is adding another coat of copychrome? and if I need to go over or fix the reprochrome how do I activate it or do I need to strip it , is so how? I guess would like to know if anyone else out there is using reprochrome and any tips they may have for a new user ?? thanks John

Re: Using Reprochrome

The reprochrome is operated at 140, it's not just for the initial mix. It took me about 25 minutes of dummying, then about 10 minutes to let the brightener mix in. It was incredibly bright after the add in of brightener.

Activate the copy chrome with a quick dip in pickel 4 or sulfuric right before going into the repro tank.
    Rinse well and then go in. You can strip the repro quickly with muriatic, around 10-15% takes care of it quickly. Keep the volts right around 5, slightly higher for bigger parts. Double check the ph after the mix too, when it's at operating temp and everything agitated well.

I've done a few pieces now, but have more in the immediate future, so I'll post any other tips that come to mind when I'm actually doing it... I did the parts on the Caswell main site.

-Jimmy.
    Originally posted by jandura View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a REPROCHOME kit to go over previously copychrome plated parts to make them brighter, since the copychrome was obviously less bright that the real chrome it was matching to. With the kit was the only instructions for it and it had me heat solution to 140 degrees and plate a dummy plate which all worked out fine (part was a little dull). but after adding the brightener it really did NOT gain that much more brightness. Question is do I continue plating at the 140 degrees as instructions imply or is this for initial setup , will the brightener disappate with the heat like when the copy chrome works when first added then gets plated at a lower temp.
    Also when going over copychrome do I reactivate like usual as is adding another coat of copychrome? and if I need to go over or fix the reprochrome how do I activate it or do I need to strip it , is so how? I guess would like to know if anyone else out there is using reprochrome and any tips they may have for a new user ?? thanks John
    James Bateman

Comment

Thanks for the quick responce, will have to dummy plate a little longer and give it a go, already added the brightner so hopefully I can see better results , just didn't want to keep it at 140 degrees if the brightner was going to deplete. Will let you know how I make out . John

Comment

And don't go by the color of the dummy piece, it's going to be nasty with or without brightener. Just use the same dummy piece for the stated time. Add the appropriate brightener, then throw in a polished piece - preferably scrap; and inspect.

Originally posted by jandura View Post
        Thanks for the quick responce, will have to dummy plate a little longer and give it a go, already added the brightner so hopefully I can see better results , just didn't want to keep it at 140 degrees if the brightner was going to deplete. Will let you know how I make out . John
        James Bateman

Comment

I'm also having a lot of troubles getting dialed in with reprochrome. It seems that if I try to push the parts at 5 volts they scorch, if I go lower they yellow. Can anyone give me a base calculation on amps and volts for a part with a size of 16 square inches? That would give me a great start.

Thanks

Comment

I have some aluminum pieces that I would like to be chromed with REPROCHROME to see if it is as good as regular chrome if someone can help please call me at 305 310 7996.

Comment

Hello Guys, i have been trying to reprochrome and i can't get anything out of my bath. Brand new bath new everything.
              I have tried numerus tames with the same result.

Comment

Working...
              X