Thank you Charles....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Charles....

What a journey....Finally got to the end of the tunnel, and it’s glorious. I’m restoring an old Triumph Motorcycle. To clean the old parts for Powder Coating I’ve been using this Process.. Electrolysis Cleaning Method (Very interesting stuff). Well now I wanted to try Copy Chrome, so I decided to use “Flash Copper” as a primer to Copy Chrome. First coat(Flash Copper), scorched the part, bought a better power supply. Second attempt, wow it works. Add another layer of Flash Copper. No difference. Decided to put Copy Chrome over the second layer(First attempt of Copy Chrome). No Good, peeling, plus can see Copper under a very thin layer of Copy Chrome. Stripped back to Bare Metal(All the while Reading Reading). Read that Flash Copper leaves a very Alkaline residue. Also, when mixing Copy Chrome use the Direction on the Part A Bottle, not the Book. I had add the Copy Chrome ingredients to 1.5 Gallons of Distilled water instead of make a solution of Part A + Part B + Part C + Distilled Water for 1.5 Gallons. Here we go.. Flash Copper 30 minutes, Polished, Acetone wipe, Scrubbed with Soap and Water(Alkaline), Passed Bead Test, Copy Chrome 1 hour, Polished, Perfect. Very happy camper..
    Bruce Houghton

Re: Thank you Charles....

Originally posted by bhought View Post
    What a journey....Finally got to the end of the tunnel, and it’s glorious. I’m restoring an old Triumph Motorcycle. To clean the old parts for Powder Coating I’ve been using this Process.. Electrolysis Cleaning Method (Very interesting stuff). Well now I wanted to try Copy Chrome, so I decided to use “Flash Copper” as a primer to Copy Chrome. First coat(Flash Copper), scorched the part, bought a better power supply. Second attempt, wow it works. Add another layer of Flash Copper. No difference. Decided to put Copy Chrome over the second layer(First attempt of Copy Chrome). No Good, peeling, plus can see Copper under a very thin layer of Copy Chrome. Stripped back to Bare Metal(All the while Reading Reading). Read that Flash Copper leaves a very Alkaline residue. Also, when mixing Copy Chrome use the Direction on the Part A Bottle, not the Book. I had add the Copy Chrome ingredients to 1.5 Gallons of Distilled water instead of make a solution of Part A + Part B + Part C + Distilled Water for 1.5 Gallons. Here we go.. Flash Copper 30 minutes, Polished, Acetone wipe, Scrubbed with Soap and Water(Alkaline), Passed Bead Test, Copy Chrome 1 hour, Polished, Perfect. Very happy camper..
    Bruce Houghton
    Bruce H;
    I assume you are thanking me.. You are welcome.. I hope I have helped you learn in some small way..
    I also hope that your "journey" is not over.. that you continue to learn "something new" with every plating
    session.. store that knowledge for future use, but most of all, Share that knowledge with other "Newbies"..
    That, is the best "Thanks" anyone can get
    Charles

Comment

The throwing power of Flash Copper is so much greater than Acid copper or Copy Chrome. I just spent 6 days trying to get a good coat of Acid Copper on a Triumph motorcycle head light bessel. What I had to do was hang it horizontally with 3 wires, and turn it a quarter of a turn every fifteen minutes for an hour. Dam it, electroplating is a huge learning curve.…...
      Bruce Houghton,,

Comment

The throwing power of Flash Copper is so much greater than Acid copper or Copy Chrome. I just spent 6 days trying to get a good coat of Acid Copper on a Triumph motorcycle head light bessel. What I had to do was hang it horizontally with 3 wires, and turn it a quarter of a turn every fifteen minutes for an hour. Dam it, electroplating is a huge learning curve.…...
        Bruce Houghton,,
        PS..Yes Charles

Comment

Bruce Houghton,,
          PS..Yes Charles
          Bruce H;
          Re: Learning Curve.. Yup.. It's an on-going process as long as you are plating..
          On "Turning" the part every fifteen minutes, there is a solution.. Search "Seanc" posts
          and look into his Barrel Plater.. Cheap and easy to build and great for a "load" or nuts,
          washers, etc.. Also, someone built a "rotisserie" that clamp onto the top of the plating
          bucket, uses a BBQ motor and rotates the hanging parts automatically, giving an even
          360* plate. I don't remember where the "plans" were posted, tho.
          Charles

Comment

Another hurdle...I was so pleased with myself after getting the Acid Copper nearly perfect on the Bessel of the head light, I got a little too anxious to get to the Copy Chrome bucket I guess. Anyway, in it went, turned ¼ of a turn for an hour. Out it came, rough with little black specks all over it, and peeling. What did I do wrong I think I forgot the water Bead Test, but I'm not sure. Try again….

The Bessel circumference is 24” and it's Width is 1.1”. That’s 26.4 square inches. X 2(Inside and outside) = 52.8 square inches. 16 Square Inches = 1 amp. Therefore
            52.8/16 = 3.3 amps. That’s what I used…

Bruce Houghton

Comment

Another hurdle...I was so pleased with myself after getting the Acid Copper nearly perfect on the Bessel of the head light, I got a little too anxious to get to the Copy Chrome bucket I guess. Anyway, in it went, turned ¼ of a turn for an hour. Out it came, rough with little black specks all over it, and peeling. What did I do wrong I think I forgot the water Bead Test. Try again….

The Bessel circumference is 24” and Width is 1.1”. That’s 26.4 X 2(Inside and outside) = 52.8. 16 Square Inches = 1 amp. Therefore 52.8/16 = 3.3 amps. That’s what I used…

Bruce Houghton

Comment

Another hurdle...I was so pleased with myself after getting the Acid Copper nearly perfect on the Bessel of the head light, I got a little too anxious to get to the Copy Chrome bucket I guess. Anyway, in it went, turned ¼ of a turn for an hour. Out it came, rough with little black specks all over it, and peeling. What did I do wrong I think I forgot the water Bead Test. Try again….

The Bessel circumference is 24” and Width is 1.1”. That’s 26.4 X 2(Inside and outside) = 52.8. 16 Square Inches = 1 amp. Therefore 52.8/16 = 3.3 amps. That’s what I used…

Bruce Houghton
                Bruce H;
                If the Bezel is 24" in circumference and 1.1" wide, that's just the "outside".. Double the measurement to add-in the "inside".. (comes to about 52.8 Total Surface Square Inches).
                Just remember, ALL parts have Six Sides.. Measure each (HxWxD[or thickness]). Think of a cube 4"x4"x4".. each "side" is 4"x4"=16 Sq In.. Times Six (sides) equals 96 Square Inches..
                Refigure your TOTAL area, then figure the Amps accordingly.
                Charles

Comment

Working...
                X