Copy ChromeNot Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy ChromeNot Working

I'm having difficulty with copy chrome. It worked well at first but doesn't now. I get a dull grayish finish that won't polish. Underneath is a very thin bright coat that cuts through to the substrate when I polish]. I came to the conclusion that I needed to replace the brighteners but probably I'm wrong and need to look at other factors.

I did a test piece using a 5 inch, 1/2 inch copper pipe. The bath temp was 74, the current was 0.25 amps and 5 volts. I've attached a picture that shows the pipe partly buffed. Perhaps someone can advise me as to what to try next.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3499[/ATTACH
    Attached Files

Re: Copy ChromeNot Working

Hi, I'm really new at flash copper and copy chrome but I have been using it for five days straight sun up to sun down. I have never seen it look like that. The part looks burnt. Have you done this same run before and have no problems. Have you checked the ph level what does the part look like before you chrome.

Comment

The part shown in the picture was a clean piece of copper pipe. The black part is from buffing some of it to show my result. I've ordered a ph meter but it will be a week or two before it gets here since I think it's coming from China. I've done about 35 pieces so far. The first 30 worked just fine. I've done copy chrome over flash copper over zincated aluminum and pot metal and over plain steel.

Comment

I'm not sure if this means much but when I plate with the copy chrome I set my amps and the volts are usually around 2 or 2 1/2. Are sticking to the 2x anode 1x cathode. Also the caswell suggested I remove the bandage from the anodes. Cause I was having a very slightly dull affect on some edges of some of my pieces. I havnt had a chance to try that yet.

Comment

Are you new with caswells product and plating in general.

Comment

Yes, I'm new to plating. Got my kits about a month ago. I don't know what you mean by "Are sticking to the 2x anode 1x cathode".

Comment

I've read and been told that you must try to stick to anode that is two times the size of your part that your plating none as the cathode. Some one said you can really get your bath out of wack real quick by having too larg of pieces compared to the anode size. That means the ph in guessing. I found out I've been using too large an anode for part. So too ordered the ph tester just make sure. It's on it's way. I have been wondering why I've been getting some dull or slightly rough spots. My tanks are only a week or two old. I've done a copper pipe as a test and it turned beautiful. But when I try aluminum I can't seem to get right. It's a little more touchy I guess.

Comment

Ya know they say 90% of all problems are caused by the user. So if your ph comes out fine you could try filtering the bath through some paper towels. I've heard that people do that on this forum. And you don't need to replace the brighteners either.
                Do you sand and polish all your test parts and other parts?

Comment

It looks like I have a solution to this problem. I received word from Caswell today that the filters they supplied me with contain charcoal catridges and were supplied in error. Charcoal unfortunately removes the brighteners. They apologized and are sending me new brighteners and hopefull this will take care of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X