DULL GREY COATING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DULL GREY COATING

Is anyone else experiencing a dull grey coating on their work? It seems this coating buffs off quite easily.

Anyone found a way of stopping this happening?
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Re: DULL GREY COATING

I have found that using exact measurements when placing your item into the tank absolutely no closer then 3 inches from the anodes. In all cases I use a higher temp between 95 and 110
    I also have found that a combination of higher temp and lower amps works very well
    Jim Eaton

Comment

I have not figured out how to get rid of the dark dull grey spots. I actaully just set aside my copy chrome tank for a month and now I'm going to give it a try again. I have buffed and it does seem to come off quite easily but I still don't think the color after its buffed matches the blue chrome look. Looks more like nickel. I am going to do what Jim said and raise the bath temp.

A question for Jim... it sounds like you have plated a succesful copy chrome part. And if so, does the color match chrome exactly?

Comment

Ego
        When I plate with copy chrome .
        After the part is cleaned and prepd .I wire the part up just as it will be plated then I soak in de greaser sometimes for 30 minn but not absolutely
        necessary I use a rag and clean the parts while there in the de greaser . Then rinse in hot distilled water I keep the part as hot as possible so not to change the temp of my solution to much ( we are talking about a three gallon tank . While my parts are soaking I heat my chrome tank to 110 this will allow for cool down . After tank is heated I place my pump in supplied by Caswells then my anodes. Afterwards I take my part already on the hanger set into the center of tank I then
        adjust my anodes within three inches of the part then I apply the pre measured amps .
        The formula I use is 1 amp per 32 sq” .
        Make sure your cleaning and storing your anodes properly .
        And brighteners do get used up as you plate. If you are plating all day you must keep an eye on the temp of your chemicals give me a shout if you have any more questions
        here check out my photos http://forum.caswellplating.com/phot...0&ppuser=17870
        Last edited by jimcarry; 11-27-2005, 11:16 AM.
        Jim Eaton

Comment

Originally posted by caswell
          Is anyone else experiencing a dull grey coating on their work? It seems this coating buffs off quite easily.

Anyone found a way of stopping this happening?
          I have exactly the same. I am investigating this - watch this space( hopefully!). I have plated 1 small brass part as an experiment with success first time. I then drained the tank etc, stored the solution for a few weeks. Started plating again - grey deposit.
          1, Dropped temperature 10 F - no change.
          2, Decreased plating current density to 50% - no change.

Next I will try:
          Check solution concentration.
          Check PH.
          Check for Zinc Ions in the solution (I have a chemist friend who would love to mess with this).
          Dummy plate to remove contaminants - problem with this is I cannot download anything other than the area calculator from the download site..

Bye fo now.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundsurgeon
            I have exactly the same. I am investigating this - watch this space( hopefully!). I have plated 1 small brass part as an experiment with success first time. I then drained the tank etc, stored the solution for a few weeks. Started plating again - grey deposit.
            1, Dropped temperature 10 F - no change.
            2, Decreased plating current density to 50% - no change.

Next I will try:
            Check solution concentration.
            Check PH.
            Check for Zinc Ions in the solution (I have a chemist friend who would love to mess with this).
            Dummy plate to remove contaminants - problem with this is I cannot download anything other than the area calculator from the download site..

Bye fo now.
            Question
            What size kit are you using
            Jim Eaton

Comment

I am having the exact same problem. Dull grey coating that, when buffed, looks good. If anyone figure this out please post the solution.

BTW I am plating at 70 degrees and 1 amp per 15 square inches. Next Time I'll try heating to 110 and lower amps.

Comment

Here are my thoughts.
                Gray coatings are caused by
                not enough brightener in your solution in the smaller kits the brightener to solution ratio
                seems to be correct as you get into the larger kits I be leave the ratio changes and more brighteners need to added . Another factor is the temp of the copy chrome if you are using the 70 degree temp this is just not enough please bring the temp to 110 and start there we must remember that as we plate the temp will change keep a close eye on this as all shops and areas are different
                for instance my solution drops at a rate of 3 degrees per hours in an insulated tank during the winter months in Arkansas. And at 1 degree per hour in the summer months same tank .
                It is also important that we all remember that as we plate we are depleting the brighteners
                and we must keep an eye on this and replace them as needed KEEP some in your shop .
                If your plate is burning the most common problem I have found by talking to a lot of you on the phone is the temp and agitation a few bubbles in the tank are not enough the agitation effect your are looking for is like a boiling pot of water
                Jim Eaton

Comment

Working...
                X