Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Chroming Plastic Dash Cluster

Hello,

I am restoring a 1964 Plymouth and am looking in to Copy Chrome plating the plastic dash bezel, radio bezel, and arm rests.

I have been reading this forum on and off trying to figure out what I will need to get started as well as learn the procedure.

From what I have read, I will need to start by lightly coating the plastic in Silvaspray, then acid copper plating, then copy chrome.

From what I gather, I need to plan on buying some Silvaspray and the acid copper/copychrome kit.

Is this correct?

Re: Copy Chroming Plastic Dash Cluster

KTO,

I think that would be a great start.

We'd love to hear more about it and see the finished results.

I have not tried to plate on anything non-metallic yet, but am interested in doing so in the future.

Just be sure that your plastic is spotless clean and smooth before beginning the process. Proper prep work is the main key to any plating job.

Best of luck,
    Curtis Ashcroft
    M and C's Plating & Powder Services

Comment

Thanks,

What would you recommend for cleaning the plastic?

I was thinking superclean degreaser and then rinsing with distilled water.

thanks again

Comment

I have never used Super Clean, but I have heard good things about it.

I use non-abrasive Soft Scrub or non-abrasive Comet to clean prior to plating after the SP Degreaser. Then I do a thorough cold water rinse, plus a final rinse in Distilled Water while checking for water break.

It would be best to stay away from any solvents, especially those that contain Ketone, as they will soften the base materiel.

Also, make sure that whatever you use will not leave any residue that could interfere with the adhesion of the conductive coating.

Good luck,
        Curtis Ashcroft
        M and C's Plating & Powder Services

Comment

Working...
        X