can you polish copy chrome??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you polish copy chrome??

Is it necessary to polish copy chrome, and can it it be polished on a wheel? I would like to apply copy chrome over silvaspray. Can silva spray be polished or wet sanded with maybe 1000g before plating? Thanks Dan

Re: can you polish copy chrome??

Dan,

Copy Chrome will plate onto Silvaspray and can be buffed and polished normally either by hand or with light pressure on a wheel. Just make sure that your plating thickness is adequate for any machine polishing.

I wouldn't recommend sanding or polishing the Silvaspray directly as it is applied very thin.

To achieve the best results (highly polished Chrome like appearance), you may consider a Copper plate over the Silvespray first, then buff and polish that to the desired luster before going to the Copy Chrome.

Copy Chrome is a considerably harder metal and would take a bit more pressure on the wheel than the Copper would.
    Curtis Ashcroft
    M and C's Plating & Powder Services

Comment

Thank you Curtis,

If I polish the copper base, would I then lightly polish the copy chrome on a wheel as well for a highly polished finish? Or would the copy chrome plate highly reflective over the polished copper without polishing? Dan

Comment

Dan,

You're welcome.

The Copy Chrome will come out of the bath very smooth and reflective providing the underlying Copper Plate is exactly that.

It does have some excellent leveling properties and will hide very minor imperfections, but not everything. The best possible finish on the Copper will directly dictate the final finish of the Copy Chrome.

You can final polish the Copy Chrome with a loose cotton or flannel wheel and blue rouge for the best possible shine.

That is the system I use to most resemble a true Triple Chrome plate.
        Curtis Ashcroft
        M and C's Plating & Powder Services

Comment

cool,, I'm going to order the copy chrome/acid copper combination kit, and the silaspray, and play a little. Thanks again, Dan

Comment

Just a thought.

Remember that excessive buffing will make the underlying plastic and SIlvaspray soft, and the electroplate will blister, so try to ge this as smooth as possible BEFORE you plate it. Then you will need very little buffing.
            --
            Mike Caswell
            Caswell Inc
            http://www.caswellplating.com
            Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

I am assuming the blistering is a product of heat? So if excessive polishing were required, would it be best to cool the part at intervals when it starts to get warm? Dan

Comment

Working...
              X