I need plastic pieces chromed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need plastic pieces chromed

I need 4 plastic centercaps for my wheels chromed. The wheels are a couple years old and I cant find new caps anywhere. Can someone do that and if so what the approximate cost. Shipping would be minimal but obviously I'll cover that. I need them by Nov 1st, no ifs, ands, or buts. If you cant have them back to me by then dont bother. Below is a picture of one cap. What can I do to prep them to save you time/me money? The centercap that says KONIG will be taken out so you dont have to deal with that.

http://images.geekazoids.net/cap_copy1.jpg
    Last edited by UnorthodoxCreations; 10-07-2007, 01:48 PM.
    Unorthodox Creations Powdercoating

Re: I need plastic pieces chromed

Are those bolts a decoration part or real and come out?
    Is the plating intact and just need to be striped and replated or is there bare plastic showing in areas.

Depending what these are, and can't tell from the picture, they may need stripped to bare plastic then completely redone. If so for a real chrome plate then they will need coated with SILVA Spray or such to make them electrically conductive and tanked in copper, then nickel, then chromed. Lots of buffing and polishing, and I figure the bolts are decoration parts wich means tight hard areas and corners to work in. Need some finer buffs.

If they are in good shape with no bare plastic, and a real chrome, then they might be able to be stripped of the chrome, polish and re-plate the nickel then re-chrome.

The main thing is if they have a good copper bottom layer or not. or if the nickel is all intacked but needs cleaned up well.

Just curious why you need them by NOV 1? Is this for a car show car or something and a big show coming up some where?
    Or just your daily driver and your taking a long trip then?

Anyway with shipping 2 ways and if I needed to order anything (tools or supplies) not on hand to do these I dought I could get them done by then myself.

But if you haven't found some-one to do them yet, then more info like I asked might help people know what they are getting into on these.

Comment

Originally posted by chromo View Post
      Are those bolts a decoration part or real and come out?
      Is the plating intact and just need to be striped and replated or is there bare plastic showing in areas.

Depending what these are, and can't tell from the picture, they may need stripped to bare plastic then completely redone. If so for a real chrome plate then they will need coated with SILVA Spray or such to make them electrically conductive and tanked in copper, then nickel, then chromed. Lots of buffing and polishing, and I figure the bolts are decoration parts wich means tight hard areas and corners to work in. Need some finer buffs.

If they are in good shape with no bare plastic, and a real chrome, then they might be able to be stripped of the chrome, polish and re-plate the nickel then re-chrome.

The main thing is if they have a good copper bottom layer or not. or if the nickel is all intacked but needs cleaned up well.

Just curious why you need them by NOV 1? Is this for a car show car or something and a big show coming up some where?
      Or just your daily driver and your taking a long trip then?

Anyway with shipping 2 ways and if I needed to order anything (tools or supplies) not on hand to do these I dought I could get them done by then myself.

But if you haven't found some-one to do them yet, then more info like I asked might help people know what they are getting into on these.

The bolts are just for decoration and dont come out. The pieces will need to be stripped. The chrome is flaking and they are actually cracked in some spots that I will need to fix with plastic weld. I assumed I would sand all the remaining chrome off and make repairs myself. I could sand to whatever grit is necessary. I'm not looking for a museum quality piece, just something decent. Worst case scenario I'll just repair them and spray paint them silver, I'd just prefer them to stay chrome. I need the by Nov 1st for a show. I could have them prepped and shipped by Monday at the latest, maybe late this week. If no one can do it by then I'll just paint them to match my wheels I'm powdercoating as close as possible.

Comment

I can chrome them for u I have a spectra chrome system ''spray on chrome''. you would have to sand and fill cracks sand to atleast 300 I can take from there. goto www.sprayonchrome.com to see if the process is good enough for you

Comment

Originally posted by curvekillaz View Post
          I can chrome them for u I have a spectra chrome system ''spray on chrome''. you would have to sand and fill cracks sand to atleast 300 I can take from there. goto www.sprayonchrome.com to see if the process is good enough for you
          That looks pretty suited to what I need. I can get them all fixed up and ship them out. Do you have any pics of work you've done. How about a cost including return shipping to PA 17329. If you'd like to email me thats fine, akprobegt@comcast.net. Again I'd need them back by the first or else I'm screwed. I might even be able to get them out this week.

Comment

UnorthodoxCreations,

How you doing on your wheels? I ran into something odd myself and will have some plastic caps to fix and plate also now.
            I was about to scrap out a Toyota Van and just take scrap value for the aluminum wheels on it. Then I saw the centers!!
            Carrol Shelby Wheels! I have to look these up, see what all they fit, they might be worth a bit, maybe not. The centers need cleaned and chromed and 2 are cracked/split on a side.

I thought it strange to have Shelby wheels on a Toyota van though! I'll have to see if they fit my Shelby Daytona

Comment

Originally posted by chromo View Post
              UnorthodoxCreations,

How you doing on your wheels? I ran into something odd myself and will have some plastic caps to fix and plate also now.
              I was about to scrap out a Toyota Van and just take scrap value for the aluminum wheels on it. Then I saw the centers!!
              Carrol Shelby Wheels! I have to look these up, see what all they fit, they might be worth a bit, maybe not. The centers need cleaned and chromed and 2 are cracked/split on a side.

I thought it strange to have Shelby wheels on a Toyota van though! I'll have to see if they fit my Shelby Daytona

Any kind of chrome proved to be too expensive versus the worth of the wheels. I used plastic weld to repair all the cracks on the centercaps, sanded and primed them. Hope to paint them tonight. I'm just going to use Rustoleum "chrome" spraypaint then clearcoat it. I got my wheels back from the mediablaster today so they will get powdercoated Sat.

Comment

Well, see how they turn out painted that way, if good let me know. I never liked that kind of paint. But things have improved over the years I guess for some stuff.

I passed up a really nice car for $600, had water going into oil. He tried block sealer stuff and the new owner is still driving it and happy! The old stuff never worked for me, dealer friend said the new stuff does work much better. Maybe same with the chrome paints, I never liked any but it was long ago I tried them.

If you think you want them chromed after the show (if you don't like them painted) and have more time, PM me price you'd want to pay and I'll see if I can do them for you for that or close, if you do the prep so I just have to clean again and plate when I get them.

Comment

Working...
                X