Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nickel - Cobalt Plating to Replicate Chrome?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel - Cobalt Plating to Replicate Chrome?

I'm wondering if anyone has had the idea of laying down a thick nickel plate (over copper if required) to give good corrosion protection then following up with a fairly thin cobalt plate to give the blue (as opposed to yellow) shine that will duplicate chrome? This would of course be very much the way real decorative chrome is used, over a thick nickel base plate which imparts the actual corrosion protection with the chrome only used to give a visual appeal (chrome being more blue than yellow tinted).

I would think this would give you a visually better part as compared to CopyKrome, which is a nickel/cobalt alloy. Using this two step process you would end up with all the cobalt on the surface layer which is where we really want it.

Re: Nickel - Cobalt Plating to Replicate Chrome?

It would be interesting to get some feedback from pure cobalt users to see how durable it is compared to nickle and copy chrome.

Comment

I'm working on a few parts now with the new cobalt kit.......I'll post results and pictures as soon as i'm done

Comment

Hello,
        Plating cobalt over nickel? If you lookup nickel step plating. This is finish would give you the corrosion protection you may be looking.
        1. Woods nickel strike.
        2. Semi-bright nickel.
        3. Bright nickel.
        4. chrome.
        Works great for car bumpers. Remember to much of something is not good!
        Plating a cobalt finish is interesting and will be looking it up.
        Nol4154

I'm wondering if anyone has had the idea of laying down a thick nickel plate (over copper if required) to give good corrosion protection then following up with a fairly thin cobalt plate to give the blue (as opposed to yellow) shine that will duplicate chrome? This would of course be very much the way real decorative chrome is used, over a thick nickel base plate which imparts the actual corrosion protection with the chrome only used to give a visual appeal (chrome being more blue than yellow tinted).

I would think this would give you a visually better part as compared to CopyKrome, which is a nickel/cobalt alloy. Using this two step process you would end up with all the cobalt on the surface layer which is where we really want it.

Comment

Working...
        X