Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper plating required even on a copper base?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper plating required even on a copper base?

Hello,

My parts are copper and I will be plating with either nickel or copy chrome. I was wondering if you have to copper plate even if your base is copper? I can put an excellent polish on my parts. Also, should I nickel plate prior to copy chrome?

I guess I might as well ask about environment as well since we are here lol. I am in South Texas and it is hot and relatively humid. If the shops 90 degrees will that adversely effect the copy chrome?

Thank you for any advice.

Re: Copper plating required even on a copper base?

You can copy chrome right onto copper. I've had a yellow tint problem, and after talking to Caswell, found that the copper seems to "bleed through" the copy chrome. Caswell suggested plating for 90 minutes to eliminate this - I haven't plated anything since to see if it helps.

Despite what the manual states, I've found my copy chrome plates best at 110F. I have used it from 60-110F to find the best temp. A 90F shop would be nice - mine runs 55-60 year round and I have to run heaters.

Comment

Re: Copper plating required even on a copper base?

Thanks.

I am going to give a copper test part a good polishing, nickel plate, then finish with copy chrome and see what we get. I just have a hard time seeing why I need to copper plate a freshly built 1 pound copper part lol. I can see if it is pitted or scratched as a filler, but these are new parts.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X