Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the differences between Copy Chrome and full blown show chrome?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the differences between Copy Chrome and full blown show chrome?

For those of you who have been lucky to get got good results with copy chrome I was wondering if you could tell me if your parts look any different at all than commercial chrome? I am wondering what the specific differences (other than copy chrome being a lot less steps) are between the two?

I attempted using copy chrome for a juke box part but found out it is zinc die cast so now I am waiting for a flash copper kit to arrive. Anyway, the results I got so far are looking pretty bad since the zinc reacted so I really have no idea if I am barking up the right tree with copy chrome or if I should be looking at the 3 step process.

Here is what my part looks like today:
    Attached Files

Re: What are the differences between Copy Chrome and full blown show chrome?

And here is what I am hoping to get when I am done.

Do you think copy chrome can get me there?
    Attached Files

Comment

Copy Chrome is a bit darker than real Chrome, as in real Chrome is "whiter".

Down side to copy chrome is it will mildly tarnsh over time just like nickel (well it really is just bright nickel with cobaly in it to make it more blue), especially if handled a lot. Up side is unlike chrome, it will buff up to new with a mild polish by hand using inexpensive metal polish and even car polish. If you scratch it you can use a slightly harder polish to bring it up to new.

Once you get the part cleaned up and flash copered, I think you will be happy with the result.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark. I feel better about the direction I have chosen so far.

Comment

Working...
        X