Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to plate motorcycle parts, many Q's.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to plate motorcycle parts, many Q's.

So I've taken great interest in the Copy Chrome kit to replate all the corroded and faded chrome on my bike (74 CB750). I'll want to replate the front fender, front fender brace, rear fender, speedo/tach cups, headlight ears, headlight trim, points cover, starter cover, kick starter, and shifter lever. I might want to also do the wheels (a 19" and 18") and the exhaust (4-2 Jardines). Any idea how many anodes I'll be needing? Since this is on a bike, how thick would I want the plating? A thou or two?

I've looked into the 3 and 4.5 gal. kits but it's hard to say which one I'll need. All of these parts are slim but bulky in one direction. I read that you can use any tank but needs to be PP or PE compliant. Not quite sure what this means. Can I just get a plastic tub from wally world or will I have to special order this?

Next is a power source. The wheels are probably the largest part being plated. What kind of amperage is needed? The largest I have is 6 amps.

For prep, all of the chrome has to be removed. I have a local plater who can strip the chrome but last time I went there, he couldn't get all the chrome off of my part. Is this shinanigans or are there times you just can't get chrome off?

I'm quite sure this kit will pay itself off as I have actually two bikes needing plated. I know the solutions life is nearly infinite, just needing new anodes and brightener.

Thanks

Re: Looking to plate motorcycle parts, many Q's.

I personally bought the 3 gal kit of copy chrome and I know thats real small from what I want to copy chrome.

I was told the ID of the cylinder tank is 11" and its 9" high which means I think nyou can only do a piece thats about 7"x5" but I am not sure, I read somewhere that 2" needed to be on the side of the part between the part and the wall of the container.

I would also like to copy chrome 18" and 19" wheels, PE and PP stands for polyethylene or polypropylene which is a type of plastic I believe. Plastic (Polyethylene) Rectangular Tanks (Chem-Tainer) is a link to PE tanks and Plastic (Polypropylene) Rectangular Tanks (Chem-Tainer) is a link to PP tanks.

Im pretty sure you need at least two inches around the part from the wall of the tank to your part your plating, someone correct me if im wrong. So if you plate a 18" wheel you need a 22" inside length/width tank.

I was thinking of getting two of these 45 Gallon Rectangular Tank (R242418A) 45 Gallon Rectangular Tank Size: 24"L x 24"W x 18"H and its $145.53 + $40.00 with cover. This way I can do 20" wheels and less and be covered but its a 45 gallon tank and thats A LOT of copy chrome solution.

I was also thinking of going with two of 17 Gallon Rectangular Tank w/ Molded Polyethylene Cover (R181812A) a 17 gallon Rectangular Tank Size: 18"L x 18"W x 12"H and its $62.82 with PE cover

So to do up to 20" wheels would be $371.06 for the PE tanks alone
    and to do up to 14" maybe 15" rims would be $124.64 something much more digestible.

Then the next question is how much solution should you have in these tanks because when you put wheels in, the solution level would rise quite a bit.

Comment

Look At the Caswell wheel chroming kit. I have one, It will plate up to 20" wheel. I wish I have ordered larger because alot of parts I do are to long I have to plate one side and then plate the other. I can plate parts around 40" long But It takes twice as long. Todd

Comment

Originally posted by rbmgf7 View Post
        So I've taken great interest in the Copy Chrome kit to replate all the corroded and faded chrome on my bike (74 CB750). I'll want to replate the front fender, front fender brace, rear fender, speedo/tach cups, headlight ears, headlight trim, points cover, starter cover, kick starter, and shifter lever. I might want to also do the wheels (a 19" and 18") and the exhaust (4-2 Jardines). Any idea how many anodes I'll be needing? Since this is on a bike, how thick would I want the plating? A thou or two?

I've looked into the 3 and 4.5 gal. kits but it's hard to say which one I'll need. All of these parts are slim but bulky in one direction. I read that you can use any tank but needs to be PP or PE compliant. Not quite sure what this means. Can I just get a plastic tub from wally world or will I have to special order this?

Next is a power source. The wheels are probably the largest part being plated. What kind of amperage is needed? The largest I have is 6 amps.

For prep, all of the chrome has to be removed. I have a local plater who can strip the chrome but last time I went there, he couldn't get all the chrome off of my part. Is this shinanigans or are there times you just can't get chrome off?

I'm quite sure this kit will pay itself off as I have actually two bikes needing plated. I know the solutions life is nearly infinite, just needing new anodes and brightener.

Thanks

So if I may ask, what kit did you end up buying as I am looking into do the same thing your speaking about here.
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X