chroming springs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chroming springs

What is the best way to plate springs? I've heard that the best way was to stretch them, then plate them. If I do that, when the spring compresses wouldn't the chrome crack? I'm looking to chrome hood springs if it helps.

Thanks
    BVK Coatings LLP

Re: chroming springs

Normally with plating springs I work out the maximum and minimum extension in use and then stretch them somwhere in the middle accross a jig. Most plating is flexible enough to withstand normal use of a spring providing the plating layer is kept thin. People often over plate to get a high lustre shine. Far better to polish first and then plate thin.

PS I have not tried chrome on springs, only zinc copper and nickel.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Just to ask how would you polish iron? the springs I have a brown look after I sanded them to get the rust flake off.
      BVK Coatings LLP

Comment

Are these coiled springs or torsion bars? You should be ok on the plating as hood springs really don't move much on a per coil basis. As Mark says, don't go overboard on the thickness. And they'll have to be stretched out to plate between the coils.

If they're brown, they still have rust on them. Rust won't plate. You might try soaking them in Naval Jelly or Phospho (Both are Phosphoric acid) then rinse well. Polishing the inside and between the coils is the tough part. Compound and buff is the only way. You could get a head start if you had a polishing tumbler or vibrator. I don't recommend sand blasting springs but you could glass bead them on low pressure. Sand blasting could induce fractures lines and cause the spring to break later.

Also: Bake the springs at 400 for a few hours after plating.
        Last edited by CarWiz; 11-19-2008, 11:06 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

They are coil springs, it is on a 81 camaro. I bought a set I can screw up on being it's my first attempt. Just to ask, why bake them at 400? i'm not going ot have to get an oven am I for plating? I planned on it but just not right now, the cheapest one I saw was $2000.
          BVK Coatings LLP

Comment

Re: chroming springs - hydrogen embrittlement

Structural items and springs should be baked after plating to eliminate the probability of hydrogen embrittlement in the base metal. You can use your home oven as there's no fumes or dangerous vapors to worry about. You could even use a toaster oven. (My favorite for small items.)

Comment

BVKLLP
              What setup are you using to chrome plate the springs? Are you using the copy chrome setup?
              Just Curious!

Comment

Working...
              X