touch up chroming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch up chroming?

I am looking into buying a copy chrome kit for plating motorcycle handlebars, highway bars, etc. A pair of handlebars when fully welded together takes up alot of tank size but wastes alot of solution. For instance......the biggest part i'll do is roughly 150 sq inches, yet I need a tank 20" high,30" wide, and 20 thick, that'lle take a lot of solution to fill. My question is: can I copy chrome the individual pieces in a much smaller tank becuase then they will be single pieces of 16" long 1" tube, then weld together and touch up any imperfections from welding with a copy chrome brush kit......so I can eliminate the need for a huge setup? Or can I touch up by redipping just the welds....any way of chroming,welding,then touching up ans having it be as nice as if it was all done at once! thanks

Re: touch up chroming?

...any way of chroming,welding,then touching up ans having it be as nice as if it was all done at once!
    Not likely. Welding will under-burn the chrome and melt the copper. (If triple chrome) It will also cause the chrome to peel near the weld due to the HAZ--Shrinkage. Besides that, it's near impossible to "patch" a chrome job and have it look anything like the original plate.

Comment

Hello,
      The right way is to have the everything welded and then plated.
      The problem is the bigger the part the larger the plating tanks (copper, nickel,chrome etc...) Have you thought of a new design which can be assemble with smaller plated parts? The other option is have a plating house plate the large parts and you the smaller parts. Check the cost.
      By the way chrome does not peel away because it is so thin (microinches thin). What peels is the under plating (copper/nickel).
      Another thing, plating on welds is very trouble some and need alot of buffing and acid activation before plating due to heavy metal oxidation due to welding
      Good Luck,
      Nol4154

I am looking into buying a copy chrome kit for plating motorcycle handlebars, highway bars, etc. A pair of handlebars when fully welded together takes up alot of tank size but wastes alot of solution. For instance......the biggest part i'll do is roughly 150 sq inches, yet I need a tank 20" high,30" wide, and 20 thick, that'lle take a lot of solution to fill. My question is: can I copy chrome the individual pieces in a much smaller tank becuase then they will be single pieces of 16" long 1" tube, then weld together and touch up any imperfections from welding with a copy chrome brush kit......so I can eliminate the need for a huge setup? Or can I touch up by redipping just the welds....any way of chroming,welding,then touching up ans having it be as nice as if it was all done at once! thanks

Comment

My suggestion is dependent on how many handlebars you want to chrome. Can you build a "custom handlebar tank" by making a form in the shape of the handlebars? I'm thinking of making a handlebar shaped tank out of something like 4" or 6" PVC pipe. Use a small router, Rotozip, or jig saw to cut the pipe wall away so that the handlebars can be placed into and suspended in the pipe. This would essentially allow you to plate a complex shape with a mimimal amount of solution around each cross section of pipe. You may have to mount this custom tank into a wooden frame to hold it in the right position.

Alternatively. I doubt that you can seamlessly repair burned plating from the welding process. You can test it with two small pieces of scrap handlebar pipe. Plate them. Weld them together. Then try to re-plate the damaged area. MY suspicion is that it will show signs of repair.
        Last edited by Cincinnati; 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X