Is it chrome or Nickel ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it chrome or Nickel ???

Hi, I have a lot of old 54 Rolls Royce parts to do in copychrome. My undrstanding is that muratic acid will strip chrome off, when I dip these pieces in muratic acid there is a little fizzing and the part turns black, which wipes off quite easily and appears to be Nickel or chome But not much of a shine to them. I am assuming that the parts are actually nickel or the chrome is completely worn off?? If I am indeed dealing with just nickel then would it be ok to just reactivate (pickel #4) then flash copper to take care of light blemishes , Buff till it is good, then reactivate and copychrome these pieces. Some of the pieces are brass and some are pot metal which since they are in relatively good sahpe I'd rather NOT mess with the pot metal parts . thanks John

Re: Is it chrome or Nickel

If the base nickel plate is in good shape, that's what I'd do. If you don't do that, use the nickel stripper for die cast parts. What ever you do, don't let the hydrochloric acid come in contact with die cast parts. They'll self distruct in a few days even when rinsed. Those parts to too rare to do a half-fast job.

Buff the nickel to a shine, clean, activate then plate with copper if you need to fill nicks. If the nickel plate layer is good, just buff, clean, activate and plate more nickel or your copy chrome.

What I'm wondering about is the darkening. I have not seen HCL darken nickel unless there's a lot of zinc in the solution. That could mean you've reached die cast and/or there's desolved zinc in the solution. I'm not up with documentation on the RR but are you sure the sub-plate isn't silver?

Comment

Re: Is it chrome or Nickel

I have stripped some parts before in this muratic solution so it may be contaminated with zinc.... I will get some fresh muratic acid and try again, as far as the top coat I am assuming nickel If it is silver is there a test for this? some of the parts I did strip peviously did pull what appeared to be the chrome layer off down to nickel, then I ended up stripping the nickel in the B-9 solution but I''s rather not especially on the pot metal part . I did ruin one piece previously and had to find another on ebay took almost a year to find it though so I am extremely cautious now . thanks for the quick response John

Comment

Working...
      X