Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave....if i use a wire wheel........to clean my parts instead of sandblasting......am i having a problem there or not..............just asking.........

Thank you

shawn

Comment

Hi Shawn.......

I run my flash copper between 110 and 120, and lower my amps to .03 per sq.in.

The steps I outlined in my previous reply are the ones I use, but I left out the nitryl glove. This is important to prevent any chemical residue from being left on the part. Don't feel bad, it took me 4 months to figure this out. Pot metal is probably the worst thing to try plating. Once you get it, it's not too bad to work with, but you'll still get a surprise every once in a while on old stuff.

BLASTING vs. WIRE WHEEL.......

A wire wheel can't open out the surface pores and remove the crud like blasting. this is one of the most important steps. In fact the wire wheel is basically just rubbing down the surface, kind of polishing it, which is burying a lot of the stuff you want to remove and creating more of a problem. Then, if you've used the wheel on anything except pot metal, you compound the problem even more.

The tiny pits created by the blaster get covered by the flash copper, and just a quick rinse with distilled water, and then directly into the acid copper, once you're sure all pot metal has been covered in flash copper. I sometimes go a couple of hours in the acid copper or more to make sure I don't polish through to pot metal when prepping for nickel.

IF YOU EVER BUFF THROUGH TO THE POT METAL, RETURN TO FLASH COPPER FIRST!!!

There's a post by 48Buick in this forum that outlines this all in more detail, you should check it out.

Hope this helps....

Dave

Comment

Hey Dave do u use the SP greaser at all............or all u use is Dawn and the Soft scrub.........

Thanks

Shawn

Comment

48Buick
          I agree with most all that you posted except for the sandblasting to clean up old potmetal.
          I have been working closely with a local plater for about 25 years and I always have him chemically strip my parts. It removes the old plating down to the copper and then I can hand finish from there to get the pits cleaned out.

Blasting can cause small bits of media to get embedded in the surface and screw up the plating.

I make a lot of new parts from ZA alloys never blast them before plating...

Comment

Tks for the info.
            Im always open to new processes and learning what others have already gone through if their willing to share.
            Do you know what he is using for the strip? It sounds like a proprietary type stripper. I have tried all kinds of acids and such but they all attack the base metal and cause more corrosion in the pits. Thats why I have stuck with blasting thus far.
            If theres a better way PLEEEAASSEE let me know.
            Tks
            48 Buick.

Comment

I will check with him on Monday and get back to you....

Comment

Re: PLATING POT METAL...............

Hey 48, Good article. If fairly well describes what you have to do to polish and plate pot metal. Maybe some people will read it and understand custom chrome platers are not robber barons laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                  48Buick
                  I agree with most all that you posted except for the sandblasting to clean up old potmetal.
                  I have been working closely with a local plater for about 25 years and I always have him chemically strip my parts. It removes the old plating down to the copper and then I can hand finish from there to get the pits cleaned out.

Blasting can cause small bits of media to get embedded in the surface and screw up the plating.

I make a lot of new parts from ZA alloys never blast them before plating...
                  Have any of you ever tried soda blasting it is definitely not as abrasive as sand beads or glass
                  and is a process I have been using for about 10 years I have found that it will pretty much remove any thing and leaves an almost flawless surface
                  http://forum.caswellplating.com/show...8204#post18204
                  Last edited by jimcarry; 09-30-2005, 01:03 PM.
                  Jim Eaton

Comment

Very new user. Just got my kit. (thank you) What exactly is pot metal?

Comment

Originally posted by markey
                      Very new user. Just got my kit. (thank you) What exactly is pot metal?
                      The easiest way to explain it is a mix of other metals .
                      Like old car door handles old car emblems etc are made from pot metal .
                      Jim Eaton

Comment

Thank you. Is lead considered pot metal?

Comment

Originally posted by markey
                          Thank you. Is lead considered pot metal?
                          No Although there may be some in lead in certain objects made from pot metal
                          different manufatcures use different thing Auto uses zinc aluminum and any thing els they may have laying around they melt it down together and cast an item from it . but it could be a mix of zinc aluminum copper silver
                          Jim Eaton

Comment

Shawn there is very little Pot Metal on a Honda. It is all aluminum and cast at that. So you will have to re chrome it. after the copper plate hit it with nickel plate then Chrome it. That is the original triple chrome plating we hear so much about. You may find that just polishing the Aluminum and then covering it with a clear coat will look almost as good.take care dray

Comment

I am working with a pot metal part. I have a few pits I have cleaned out with a dremmel tool. What do you use to heat the part when soldering?

This is a test piece and I was unable to get a soldering iron to work. I tried a torch but that tended to overheat the area and soften the pot metal. Perhaps a mini torch of some nature?

Thanks,
                              Gardner (newbie)

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                                I will check with him on Monday and get back to you....
                                did anybody ever find out what he was talking about here?
                                D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

Working...
                                X