Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing valve cover with fins (pics included)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing valve cover with fins (pics included)

I'm have difficulty polishing a valve cover. It was originally polished, so I'm just trying to get it back to new condition. My problem is with the areas below the raised surfaces, I can't get the buffer wheel into those areas. Is my wheel to small? Since I only had this one piece, I only invested in a cheap drill attachment kit from HF. Any recommendations would be appreciated...

Here's the cheap kit I'm trying to use....

Aluminum Polishing Tool Kit - 14 Piece

Thanks,

jdub63

Re: Polishing valve cover with fins (pics included)

Those small buffs in an electric drill won't do much work. I run those sizes of things at minimum 3450 RPM. For that valve cover I would put them in my air die grinder which runs up to 12,000 RPM but I wouldn't run it quite that fast—maybe 6 or 7 thousand. At that speed the centrifugal force will force the buff down into the little corners and crevices.

It looks pretty good in the photo. Maybe all it needs is your finger tips and some rubbing.

Richard

Comment

So I tried the die grinder at a higher RPM, but no real improvement... I busted out the elbow grease and polished out most of the area between the fins, but I'm still having issue getting around the raised letters...

any other tricks I might try??

jdub

Comment

I assume your problem is the closed spaces in the A's and the C—everything looks reachable with a small buff or a felt bob. You may just have to use a pointed stick and a piece of cloth and do it by hand.

Richard

Comment

Working...
        X