Red vs Blue vs Brown for gold and silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red vs Blue vs Brown for gold and silver

I want to replate a 24k gold-plated silver dish. The surface is smooth to the touch and gives an undistorted reflection, but there are visible scratches in the gold from normal wear. The Caswell buffing handbook just recommends the blue or red on canton flannel for polishing. Is that what I want to do - polish only? Will this get the scratches out? Do I need to use a compound that has some cutting action like the brown? Maybe since gold is so soft, the red or blue will remove the scratches.

Also, what is the practical dfferences between the red and the blue compound? I realize that the blue is greaseless, but what does that get you?

Thanks

hey,sounds like a very delicate piece your working on,i don't suggest using
    brown compound just due to the simple fact that the brown can cut very fast,one mistake and you can say goodbye to the gold trim
    as far as the red and blue compounds go,they have no cutting action,these compounds are for color and/or luster.i've used both and i like the blue,on a canton flannel buff.be careful...

Comment

If the brown will cut very fast, then maybe I should use the white. I'll be replating the 24k gold onto the silver, so the fact that the gold goes does not really matter. It is only something like 3-5 microns thick and it is wearing thin in some places.

The key question is: will the red or the blue get out visable scratches that feel smooth, or not?

Comment

If you use a compound with ANY abrasive in it, it will remove the scratches but it will also remove your gold plate. You're limited to the red or blue rouge, or replating the affected areas.
        --
        Mike Caswell
        Caswell Inc
        http://www.caswellplating.com
        Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Working...
        X