Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on wheels

hi all,has been a while

got these porsche wheels in to polish and ive never seen pitting like them,they are really bad,now i spent a day at them(1 wheel) with 80 grit compound and still didnt remove all the pitting,now im kinda saying to myself i cant go any further or im going to really weaken the wheel.
    have been on to the customer and he's saying he's not to worried as long as there shiney(lol) now to me i dont want to see work leave my workshop sub-standard but i also dont want to spend a day on each wheel first stage sanding(5 rims)

now i have had some shocking bad pitting in wheels before but usually get them out with a bit of a fight but these are really bad,i tryed one with 150 grit compound to just smooth them out and they are ok but obviously not mirror finish standard,so what would any of you people do?

ps..customer has said what he will pay and no more

1st pic showing after a clean up(doesnt really show how bad the pitting is) 2nd pic after 80grit and 150grit compound(still pitting)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	131736Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	131737

Re: opinions on wheels

I would give the wheels back to the owner and say, "No thank you." I don't think the strength of the wheels is an issue, but to remove those pits is a lot of work.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Rasper View Post
      I would give the wheels back to the owner and say, "No thank you." I don't think the strength of the wheels is an issue, but to remove those pits is a lot of work.

Richard
      had a chat with the customer and he seems reasonable about the outcome,so will just do my best but he was told im not spending 2 days grinding on each wheel for the price he was willing to pay will put up pics when finished.

edit,found out also that the wheels are not all the same date,some are different months in 73 2 are different months in 74 and only one(same year as car) is a 76
      customer not happy about that!!!!!!!

Comment

That sounds good. Make double certain he knows what to expect. You don't want him coming back at you screaming about the imperfect finish.

Post the photos when you are done.

Richard

Comment

Working...
        X