Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Felt/Canvas/Cotton...What to use with greaseless compound grit material on Aluminum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt/Canvas/Cotton...What to use with greaseless compound grit material on Aluminum

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I have a Keith Black Stage 8 Water Block Hemi 426 Aluminum block that I am going to polish. It is cast aluminum. I also have two 8v71 blowers that are cast aluminum and will be polished as well. Here is my question: I just bought greaseless compounds of 60, 80, 120, 180, 240, 400, 600 grit to start the polish. I have a die grinder with a 33 gallon air compressor that I use for porting/polishing cylinder heads, a drill, and an angle grinder. I plan to use the die grinder for all of the polishing. I am wondering what material wheels and bobs I should buy for this job. I have seen felt, cotton, and canvas. What would I use for the 60-600 grit polishing? Also any insight on soft/medium/hard felt and which I would need? Afterwards, what compound after the 600 grit would you recommend for finishing the polish? With what wheel/bob material.

I should have mentioned that I intend to go 60 grit all over, then to 120, then to 240, then 400, then 600.

Thanks so much for the help

• Kevin Cullen
    replied
    Re: Felt/Canvas/Cotton...What to use with greaseless compound grit material on Alumin

I too use sandpaper and the same buffs as Richard. Make sure your block is smooth where you want to polish or a black mess will develop when you hit it with the buff. I would use the grinder for this one because I find the die grinder uses too much air and gets too cold on my hands on the big jobs.

Kevin
    Metal Polish Shop

Leave a comment:

• ItalianGuns
    replied
    Re: Felt/Canvas/Cotton...What to use with greaseless compound grit material on Alumin

Thanks Richard. Helps a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Rasper
    replied

I am no help on the greaseless—I've never tried it—I use sandpaper, but after the 600 grit, I use emery on a hard sewn cotton buff, and then white chrome on a softer cotton buff. After that, if I want perfection, I use a liquid polish that contains a very fine abrasive and a wax that slows oxidation.

From 60 to 120 is a big step. Be sure you get all of the 60 grit scratches out before you move up to the 240 or you'll just have to start over again.

I use a die grinder on small things with a two or three inch buff, but on things that large you will be happier using a sander/polisher that turns less than 3000 rpm and use one of Caswell's arbors made for that purpose. Then you can use a 6 or even 8 inch buff and really get some work done.

Grinder/Buffer Adapter 1/2" Dia Shaft - Buffing Adapters - Buffing/Polishing - Caswell Inc

Richard

Leave a comment:

Working...
X