New guy problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy problems

I am new to metal polishing. I'm restoring a 63 Ranchero and would like to polish the trim myself. I have had pretty good luck with the aluminum, but the stainless is kicking my but. I have done well straightening and popping the dents but after that it goes downhill. I am using quality sandpaper, a harbor freight 6 inch polisher, and now a 1 horse polisher with 10 inch spiral sewn wheels. All my wheels and compound are from Caswell, except the 10 inch.
    1st I spend forever sanding and keep finding small scratches that I missed. About 4 hours on a 6 inch piece. Any advice?
    2nd I can't seem to remove any metal with the buff wheels. I sand to 1200 grit , but unless I use a sisal wheel and black emery I can't remove the scratches. After the sisal I use a spiral sewn and can't remove the sisal scratches. I end up with a dull shine. I have gone back and resanded to be certain that I have all the sand scratches out. I also tried sanding with 1200 on a finished piece, and cant remove the scratches with emery and a spiral sewn wheel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have also tried a grey for stainless and green, always using separate spiral sewn wheels.
    Thanks, Ron

hopefully this will shed some light for you
    Attached Files
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Thanks Jason, I had already read that, but I did a reread. I've done a lot of reading and watching videos,but I'm just not getting it. I can't get to the bottom of sand scratches, I just shine them up. One problem I found I think after all the warnings of using to much compound I over compensated and was using to little. Using a little more emery I don't get as many scratches from the sisal wheel, and am doing better at getting them out with the spiral sewn. I still am not getting the results that I want but making some progress.

Comment

could you email me some photos ? that may help me help you. jason@caswellplating.com

are you using one wheel per bar ?
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Yes I am using 1 wheel per bar. Pictures have been sent. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X