Polishing stainless boat propeller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing stainless boat propeller

I am going to high gloss polish my Volvo Penta duo props. Not because I am crazy but to minimize marine growth. The propellers have an original brushed (quite rough) finish. I have got my hands on some 3" SCM quick change discs stated by the manufacturer to be "very fine". Type 112588 in the link https://www.yumpu.com/en/embed/view/...iLj0kt1YJ7/384

Q: Will using this very fine SCM disc be usefull as the last step before moving over to polishing with compound and wheel?
    ePaper, Page Flip, PDF Kataloge, page flip pdf, free page flip, pdf flipbook, flipbook software, free flip book, flip book software, convert pdf to flash, online document
    Last edited by mmosberg; 03-02-2018, 03:38 PM.

No answers yet so I will try reformulating.

Q: What does "very fine" approximate convert to in grit size? Any thoughts or experiences?

Comment

I could only guess as to what "very fine" means to that particular manufacturer. When polishing stainless from the condition you describe, I would begin with 150 grit, then 220, then 400, then 600. After that a coarse compound made for stainless, and then a fine stainless compound.

Richard

Comment

Thx for your answere Rasper. I have understood the importance of moving gradually to finer grits and getting rid of all previous scratches before moving to the next level. I am simply wondering if the mentioned SCM discs stated to be "very fine" are fine enough before moving over to the wheel with a coarse compound.

Comment

Working...
        X