Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove 2000 scratches from car stainless trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove 2000 scratches from car stainless trim?

This is my procedure. I first tapped out any dents from the backside with a hammer and anvil. Then I filed the them down to the same height as the surface. Then I started sanding with 100, 180, 360, 600 and then wet sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000. I am using a desktop grinder with spindles on both sides. It is only 1/3 hp if that makes a difference I do not know. I‘ve tried different compounds that I‘ve had for a long time. I don’t know if they go bad after a long time. Non take out all the scratches. When I jump to the next grit sandpaper I think I am taking out the previous scratches but it Is hard to tell as I am sanding in the same direction.
    Thanks for your help.
    Rob

Here is a great kit for Stainless trim Stainless Steel Polishing Kit - Caswell Inc (caswellplating.com) Bars do dry out over time so what you have may be bad. Sanding in cross hatches will allow you to see the previous scratches better.
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Could you post some image of it so we get what is the scenario. It's better to post image so we can understand by looking that image, please.

Comment

Thread is old..i doubt you'll get a response!

Comment

Working...
        X